Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Nikon

Old Mar 26, 2005, 4:05 PM   #1

Well i thought i narrowed my choice down to the casio z55 but then i found out about the nikon s1. I know nikon makes great cameras so im wondering if it worth waiting for and if its going to be the best camera in its class (better than the sony t series and casio exillim series). Any input would be appreciated. THanks a lot!

tcd2004 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Apr 12, 2005, 11:29 AM   #2

I have seen a May 1st release date for the Nikon Coolpix S1. And while I don't own the Casio Z55 or the Sony T-series. The Nikon and Sony T don't have protruding lens like the Casio Z55. Which technically speeds up power up time not having to move that much hardware. Also, I personally think ultraslim cameras with protruding lens look silly and kinda defeat the point of having an ultraslim model over a regular slim model.

The S1 shows some significant features that I think will make it a better ultraslim camera than the Currently latest Sony T series or the Casio Z55. Face AF, in camera red eye removal, etc.

I was thinking of getting the Sony T series because of it's 2.5" screen, ultraslim body and no protruding lenses... until I checked out Nikon's site and found that they are releasing a competing model at a slightly lower price.

I am sure that all 3 cameras get good results in the ultraslim class, but the Z55 protruding lens would drive me nuts. Also, the Nikon S1 has an available underwater body, which would be larger if Casio even had an underwater housing for the Z55 which I doubt. So that makes the Nikon S1 that much more attractive and more versitile to me... since it would remain compact even in the water swimming. Not that I think I would do that much. But I have always wanted to try underwater photography.
xenon2000 is offline   Reply With Quote