Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Nikon

Old Mar 26, 2005, 6:19 PM   #1

Just purchased this for my mother-in-law who will use it on an Alaska cruise and then for 'grandkid' shots indoors. Any 'quirks' I should know about? She wanted small and easy with good 4x6 pictures. Was it a good choice for point-and-shoot at $167 new ?
I guess I'm fretting more than I should because of her 'title' and disposition :P :G
Charlie46227 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Mar 28, 2005, 7:11 AM   #2

From personal experience with my 885, and now my 8800, I would suggest getting her used to using the Scene modes (As I did my wife). If she's going to Alaska, show her how to set the Scene mode to Beach/Snow so that her pictures aren't underexposed, as well as the other modes. Also, the Sunet mode shold come in hand, too. The Scene modes can make just about anyone look like a skilled photographer, at least when it comes to exposure settings. Now, framing, that's another story.
HughesInNC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 17, 2005, 2:14 PM   #3

Hi Charlie

Congratulations for buing 4100. It´s very good point and
shoot camera with good picture quality.

I have noticed that most times auto mode will work just fine but for special events like outdoor sport shots best result will be achieved with proper scene mode.When I use
scene modes the pictures are more often blurry (camera will give blur warning). Sport mode works very nicely though (very fast focus and nice quality shots) I will post one kayak photo as example.

I like to use the optical viewfinder, but focus is Very slow when the LCD is off.

Flash is much too slow to recharge and if I want to take pictures in low light situations I´m using tripod. ISO 50-200 is not enough.

For the price of 167$ 4100 is very good price for the buck

Attached Images
Jozo is offline   Reply With Quote