Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Nikon

Old Jan 2, 2007, 9:46 AM   #41

After searching google, I came up with this thread.

I too had to join just to say thank you to Bluecube.

My 4300 got the system error over my New Years Vacation. I was resigned to getting a new camera (not a Nikon) when I read about the palm banging method.

I started with three bangs, nothing. A few more harder bangs on each side and the lens retracted, system error went away for a second, but they the lens came back out and system error appeared again. I knew I was getting close. I proceeded to bang the camera from all sides a bunch more times and after maybe 15 bangs (and a red palm), I have a working 4300 again.

I no longer hear that low grinding noise when the battery is in, so I guess I fixed it.

I almost feel bad for the palm banging team at the Nikon repair center. Due do this thread, I bet they've had to lay off half the group.

I just wish that I had gotten to a computer while I was away so that I could have repaired my camera and used it on vacation, but I'm just happy to have it back.

Thanks again!
lexluthor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 13, 2007, 12:02 AM   #42

This is fantastic. It took me several hits before I got it to work. I tried with the lense in and out and all sides. I almost gave up. I took a small break from hitting it and read about other peoples success. So I hit it some more in different ways.

Thanks again!
eastcoastbumps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 21, 2007, 6:10 AM   #43

To be blunt no digital camera is going to be 100% reliable. Canon also have their problems...
I have been lucky. My CP995 is still working fine after 6 years.
But I now always take out guarantee and accidental damage insurance - usually around 1/5 of purchase price - for 3 years. I have a Canon G7 which I dropped after 2 months and it failed! Stuck lens. But no fuss insurance (in UK) and it's on its way back this week.
No help to current owners but worth bearing in mind for your next purchase.

howardleigh is offline   Reply With Quote