Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Nikon

Old Dec 30, 2002, 8:14 AM   #1
Default Resolution and download time

Hello -
I just got a Nikon Coolpix 885 for the holidays and I'm having trouble putting the pictures I took on my website or emailing them because they are too big. I understand I should have changed the size in the menu of the camera before shooting but too late now. I've tried compressing them in Photo Impact but that doesn't help. I have Photo Impact and Adobe Photo Deluxe. How do I size the pics down without losing the quality so that I can post them on my site without long time to load and/or email them. PLEASE HELP!
Unknown0819 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Dec 30, 2002, 8:28 AM   #2

Simple! Go to your Adobe Photo Deluxe and choose your photo. Next, go to Save and Send icon which is on the main tool bar. Next choose, PageMill. You will be given a few options of what you can do. You could reduce the resolution but I usually reduce the size. Click Size and then Click the doggy Size icon (I have a doggy not sure if this varies) and then change it. Usually i go for photo size prints which is 4 inches long and 3 inches wide.

Hope this helps.
Sassalyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 30, 2002, 8:34 AM   #3

Err just notice that you wanted it for web postings. Usuall i use 1040 pixels wide and 780 pixels....If you have Adobe Photoshop what you can do is choose to save for web and the proggie does the rest.... Hope someone helps you if I couldn't.
Sassalyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 31, 2002, 1:42 AM   #4
Default resolution and download

You only need about 72 DPI to get reasonable resolution on a website. I usually cut my 14MB photos down to 700K or less depending on the size of the photo to post on the web or email
to a friend. You will need at least 300-350 DPI to print your photo, so you dont want to photograph in too small a resolution if you will print them out.

Check out Tim greys article on resolution

Tim's articles are available on Nature Photographer's online magazine.

I hope this helps you,

Jim Ghiringhelli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 31, 2002, 1:14 PM   #5

Use whatever software you have to reduce the size to 800x600, and set your compression to 50-80% quality. Most folks won't notice the difference on 50%, and you won't notice the difference on 80%. The tradeoff is in the filesize-- 50% is MUCH smaller than 80%, so you choose which compression best fits your needs.
lg is offline   Reply With Quote