Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Nikon

Old Dec 30, 2002, 2:23 PM   #1
Default My old CoolPix 900S

I have enjoyed my camera for several years now and am distressed to find that the autofocus now doesn't work all the time. Repair is $200 and that's out of the question since I can get a newer, better one for slightly more than that but I just hate to let what has been a great camera be trashed. Is there any way that I can repair this myself? I just don't like waste. It still takes good closeup pictures but when I zoom away, it won't focus all the time. Is this a problem with the twist-body Coolpix cameras or am I the only one? I love the twist feature! If I have to get a new camera, what would be a good one for me? I do all kinds of photos from closeups of my collectibles to scenery to family photos. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Ann Rast is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Dec 31, 2002, 12:33 AM   #2

It is not a problem with the swiveling Coolpix cameras in general, the 900S is a rather old model - in digital camera years (they're like dog years, only longer) :lol:

Sounds to me as if it needs repair and as you have pointed out, it probably isn't worth what Nikon will charge you for the repairs. The newer cameras have came a long way from the level of the 900S in terms of speed and resolution.

If you're stuck on the swiveling Nikon, many of us are, the only current model is the Coolpix 4500, none of the other Coolpix models have swiveling lenses. Or grab up a used Coolpix 995 from eBay or look around, maybe a dealer still has a new one.

The other Coolpix cameras offers almost as good of a macro mode but they have conventional (non swiveling) body designs.

steve is offline   Reply With Quote