Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Nikon

Old Jun 6, 2005, 6:19 AM   #1

I'm just about to buy a 7900. So glad Steve finally posted the review. Still it is difficult to choose between 5900 and 7900. My criteria is the noise issue. I will pay more for less noise, but I won't pay more for more noise.

So I've read every single word Steve has written on the 2 cameras. Concerning image noise I find exactly the same text on both reviews. That's a strange thing, as 5900 / 7900 don't have the same iso adjustment. 5900 starts on 64, 7900 starts on 50.

In theory af 5 mpix chip would be less noisy than a 7mpix if all other circumstances are the same. Some reviews, and post in this forum, says that the 7900 is less noisy - that's the opposite of theory!

My question: Steve, did you notice any difference in image noise between the 2 Nikon's?

This is what Steve wrote: (same text in both reviews): "Image noise was not an issue below ISO 400. Noise is essentially absent at ISO 50, detectable in shadow areas at ISO 100, and becomes detectable in highlight areas at ISO 200. Noise is noticeable throughout at ISO 400, but the image is still usable."
mnbib is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jun 6, 2005, 9:53 AM   #2

Well, the two are nearly identical both physically and image-wise. The reviews were done at same time and much was cloned from one to the other as we saw no real difference between them other than the 7900 gives you two more megapixels of resolution to work with. I think the sample photos prove the simularities. There is no real difference between ISO 50 and ISO 64, the smaller imager is a little more sensitive on the low end, hence the slightly different values.
steve is offline   Reply With Quote