Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Nikon

Old Jun 26, 2005, 9:32 AM   #1

I just purchased a Nikon 5900 and about half of the first photos taken were blurry. After reviewing in Photoshop I found that many of the photos taken in the shade on a sunny day were exposed at 1/30 to 1/50 sec at f7.3. All photos were taken in the AUTO mode and the flash did not fire.

I believe the camera should have either selected a shutter speed higher than 1/60 sec or the flash should have fired. I called Nikon Tech Support and the first person I talked with told me the camera was designed to work that way. I called again and spoke with another person who said they felt something was wrong but could not confirm how the camera selected shutter speed and aperature settings in low light.

I plan to return the camera. I am uncertain whether the camera is actually defective or not. If it is defective I am willing to try another. If this is normal operation I don't want the camera.

Has anyone else experiened this problem with the 5900? How about the 7900?
LK23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jun 26, 2005, 12:25 PM   #2

It isn't normal. That shouldn't happen on any camera in normal program mode. I went through some photos in pbase and it should be down to f2.8 by 1/60. Here is an example: http://www.pbase.com/image/43979702

You can go through the 5900 photos yourself – most have EXIF: http://www.pbase.com/cameras/nikon/coolpix_5900

Read through your camera manual and check your settings. Somescene modes on some cameras make the lens opening smaller to optimize depth of field.

slipe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 26, 2005, 2:40 PM   #3

Thanks for the reply. All photos were taken in the AUTO mode and shot after shot of photos in the shade were 1/30, 1/35, 1/45 or 1/50. Obvoiusly, all were blurred. The only decent shots were in full sun or so dark that the flash fired. Open shade was a problem.

I found I could force the camera to malfunction by taking photos under our patio. If I moved to the dark corner and depressed the shutter button, the red flash light would come on and the flash would fire to correctly expose the photo. If I moved back several feet to where the red flash light just turned off and took a photo without flash, the shutter speed would consistently be 1/30 at f2.8 with no flash.

I would be curious to know how your camera would function in the same situation. It bothers me that one Nikon Tech Support person said this is normal for this camera. I think it is a defect.
LK23 is offline   Reply With Quote