Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Nikon

Old Aug 27, 2005, 2:56 PM   #1

Hi Everyone,

I just received my CoolPix 8800. I spent all night playing with it, and am quite happy with it despite the limitations noted in the various reviews. However, I have the following questions, and would greatly appreciate any responses, comments or workarounds:

I switched the AF Area Mode from 'auto' (which focuses on the subject closest to the camera) to 'off' (which initially focuses on the center focus area, but then allows me to reframe the image). How large is this center focus area - is it as large as the center focus area in the 'manual' mode (with the 3x3 grid)?

Also, the manual says that no focus area indicators will appear in the shooting display. Is there something I can do to force the appearance of a focus area indicator (maybe something similar to the indicator in the Nikon 990 viewfinder)? I currently use the target from the spot metering mode (on the assumption that I would like my focus subject to be the best metered), but I would also like to use the matrix metering mode as well, while retaining a quasi focus area indicator.

Thank you,
- CluelessNewbie
CluelessNewbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links