Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Nikon

Old Jan 26, 2003, 3:16 AM   #1
Default coolpix 4300 advice for first time buyer

Seriously looking at buying a nikon coolpix4300 as a good entry into digital photography.But to be honest the more reviews i read the more uncertain i become im looking to use for food photography primarily but will also use for general.Any comments on this camera would be greatly appreciated

Thanks Chief :?
chief is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 26, 2003, 10:21 PM   #2

The Coolpix 4300 is a successor, having a higher pixel count, to the 775 and 885 cameras...To the best of my knowledge, same lens system is used in all three...I have used my 775 atop a tabletop tripod in many close-up situations and the image result has been excellent...The battery life is very good, the menu is quite intuitive and selecting the different camera functions is quickly learned...Camera malfunction, widely known as "system error" and acknowledged by Nikon, has apparently been corrected in later production units of this camera series...(My 775 was purchased in August 2001 and had to be returned to Nikon Service in early 2002)...Since then, no problems....For an example of this camera's amazing close-up capability, check out Steve's Close-up pages...You can see an example of my camera's ability on page 11, column 1, row 6 showing the image of an Accutron Spaceview watch face (775_watch)...Good luck with your purchase.
keyop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 27, 2003, 6:34 AM   #3
Default Re: coolpix 4300 advice for first time buyer

-Think how you will use the camera before you buy one.
Pocketsize, small case size or Systemcamera size?

I bought a Nikon Coolpix 4300 for almost three months ago.
I have unfortenately lost it during my last journey.
I'm now going to buy a new one after receiving a check from my assurance company.

I'll now buy a Minolta F300 (5MP) when available.

CP4300 is TOO thick, not possible to put in the pocket. :evil:
Manual settings are also tricky to set, I always used full auto :evil:
The lens is always out and do not forget the lens cover. :evil:

I'm, also interested to record small video clips WITH sound, soundmemos to pics as well. :roll:
F300 is easier to use regarding to shutter and aperture priority. :P

Konica has a very slim model if full auto is enough including sound to the videoclips as well !: :P Konica KD-500Z.

If the size is not a problem is the Olympus 5050Z very interesting.

However, you will know what to buy when you have tha camera in you hand, pocket, jacket or what ever ! :lol:

Good luck!
PeWe is offline   Reply With Quote