Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Nikon

Old Sep 27, 2005, 11:06 AM   #1

I would like to asked if anyone has heard the rumor that the 8800 has been
discontinued and will not be replaced.

Update: Found on Nikonians Forums

I wrote to Nikon for confirmation about the Coolpix 8800. I asked, "Could you please tell me whether this model <8800> is still in production?

Nikon responded:
"Thank you for your inquiry. The Coolpix 8800 is currently discontinued. Hope this clarifies your concern."

I hoped it was not true.:sad:

RandD is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Oct 2, 2005, 5:32 PM   #2

true !

some shop told me to that 8800 is discontinued here in italy.

but ..... when nikon will give us a replacement ?
ronzino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 2, 2005, 9:26 PM   #3

There can always be a silver lining ! I bought an extended warranty and if they don't stock parts for the next 3 years, any breakdown will give me a new model camera! It happened the same way with my Kodak digital and I guess we should expect things to be discontinuedafter a very short timewith all the competition and new advances.

It's still a remarkable camera and I have no regrets after a year.

The Scubbler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 9, 2005, 3:30 PM   #4

Hints from people under nondisclosure agreements suggest that the 8800 replacement will use the Sony 10.3 megapixel sensor that is much bigger and has much less noise. Hence it will have higher ISO ratings and may have more of the speed of an dSLR. Unfortunately, this also implies a much larger camera. Can't have everything!
Gordon_O is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 10, 2005, 1:19 PM   #5

Very interesting

Rebate is still good til 12/31/2005 so there may be some real bargains on 8800 later this year.
digcamfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 11, 2005, 6:49 PM   #6

Yep. Good camera, and good price if'n yuh can still find one. B U T, if they do adopt the 10 MP Sony sensor, I know where I'm gonna be when they get here. (Even if they do have to make a larger camera) Best regards,

KENNETHD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 12, 2005, 3:00 AM   #7

Good to here that the Coolpix 8800 and then probably also its smaller wide angle sibling, the Coolpix 8400, are getting discontinued. If the prices then drop down considerably I'll probably buy both. Since I have two 1 GB Sandisk Utlra 2 and one 256 MB Ultra 2 for my current Canon Powershot S1IS, I can reuse these memory cards for the very fine two Nikon digicams.
kassandro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 15, 2005, 8:35 AM   #8

Have you seen or heard anything about the hinted-at 10mp point-and-shoot? Any ideas about when such a camera may appear?

I began to susect that the 8800 might be discontinued when, about a week ago I saw a display model for $650 at Costco. Apparently they had been selling them for $750 for a little while. Was I disappointed because I had finally decided that now was the time for me to buy one, and lo-and-behold, they've been discontinued. We have an 8800 at work and I've come to really like it despite its being slow to focusat distance shots. I guess I should have been going to Costco more often!

The Panasonic FZ30 sounds pretty good, but people talk about "noise" being a problem.
sbturner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 21, 2005, 1:59 PM   #9

Does anyone know when the replacement for the 8800 is coming out?
jiaozi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 7, 2005, 11:19 AM   #10

If the 8800's replacement is DSLR sized, then I might as well go with the D50/70/200 option and be able to change or upgrade lenses. We will also loose the ability to shoot movies as well. (the new Sony doesn't have a movie option) Bummer.
markphotogear is offline   Reply With Quote