Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Nikon

Old Oct 18, 2005, 9:40 PM   #1

We are going to Sedona AZ soon and would like to get nice crisp shots of the red rock formations. Besides using the landscape setting on my camera, what are the best settings for these distant shots?

I have a Nikon 8700

Bubbatrout is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Oct 19, 2005, 7:46 AM   #2

Bubbatrout wrote:
...get nice crisp shots of the red rock formations.
I guess that spot focus is a good choice
KCan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 19, 2005, 1:36 PM   #3

Landscape mode usually sets everything for you. Read your manual to see what it sets, but it usually puts the focus at infinity and increases the sharpness and saturation. It varies with brands. Some shift the color a little to enhance greens.

I think your post processing habits have a lot to do with how you shoot. I shoot with minimum sharpening to avoid sharpening artifacts and minimum contrast to get the widest dynamic range. I have an action in Photoshop to convert them to good viewable images, but keep the originals for any individual post processing. So the last thing I would consider would be scene modes like landscape.

With your camera I would always shoot in raw. That bypasses sharpening, contrast, saturation and white balance, so the only thing you need be concerned with is focus and exposure. If you bracket the exposure you need be concerned only with focus, which is easy enough to set on infinity for distant subjects and spot focus for complex situations. Bring the pictures home and set all the parameters in the software as you like them.

One problem with having 35mm as your widest angle is that you often can't get wide vistas. One solution is to get a good wide angle adapter. Another is to hold the camera vertically and shoot panoramas. I don't think your camera has a panorama mode built in, but you can shoot in manual and set the overlap yourself. You don't need a tripod with a panorama head to get decent panoramas in just the horizontal plane. But you do have to practice a little before you go. By holding the camera vertically you can usually get a little better than the equivalent of a 27mm lens in a standard format 4:3 photo. Of course you can make it wider for a true panorama.

slipe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 19, 2005, 7:51 PM   #4

Thank you, I will use your tips of shooting in the raw and using the manual mode and spot focusing. I have been practicing the panorama shots, the camera does have a mode for it. I was on my roof Monday taking shots, I'm sure the neighbors thought I was crazy.

Thanks again
Bubbatrout is offline   Reply With Quote