Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Nikon

Old Nov 23, 2005, 1:51 PM   #1

I am an owner of the Coolpix 950 model and had, upon acquiring it some years ago,obained the subject flash bracket from RX Camera which is now no longerin business.

I just saw the 'First Look' for the S4 Coolpix on this site and was amazed to see that Nikon had 'revived' this style of point and shoot camera. The first thing that I thought of was "Will it successfully accommodate the subject custom flash bracket?"

This flash bracket is well thought out and extends the utililty of the camera so well that I might consider the S4 as a replacement for the 950 after I read the forthcoming full review.

The chief drawback to the 950 Coolpix for me was the long shutter lag and if this is considerably improved it might be a worthwhile upgrade. Actually, the size of the S4 cameraappears to be is so small that a good grip, which the flash bracket would provide, mightaddress another member's reservation in that regard.

Comments would be appreciated from anyone who has the RX Camera custom bracket for the Coolpix cameras and the S4 regarding the compatibility of the two.

12/13/2005 Update: Just got the answer to the above question. This is from a review by DC Resources (from the link at the end of 'Steve's Conclusions' in the S4 First Looks:

...Next to that is the S4's built-in flash. This flash has a working range of 0.4 - 3.0 meters, which is on the weak side. You cannot attach an external flash to the Coolpix S4 [Emphasis added]. :sad:
Bummer. Maybe they will release another in this series later on that includes that feature. Being able to add that external flash really increases the utility of this kind of camera. Although it makes it more cumbersome, it doesn't have to be used in the convenience factor is overriding.

Numbacrunch is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links