Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Nikon

View Poll Results: Are you happy with the manual focus feature on the Nikon Coolpix 5700
Somewhat 0 0%
No 8 100.00%
Yes 0 0%
Voters: 8. You may not vote on this poll

Old Mar 15, 2003, 10:50 PM   #1
Default Manual Focus Blues on Coolpix 5700

I just bought the Coolpix 5700 and I'm finding it difficult to use the manual focus. My other digital camera is the Canon G2. It's manual focus feature is very functional in that it magifies the middle of the frame so you can see finer detail. I'm finding it hard to be precise with the manual focus on the 5700.

For instance, when I'm taking a picture of my cat with the G2, I focus in on one of his eyes. With the center of the frame magnified, I can be pretty precise about what object in the picture is most focused. With the 5700, I have a hard time determining if anything is in focus, let alone a certain object in the frame is focused more than other objects.

I've turned on the "Focus Confirmation" feature, but it the image seems too small to determine whether anything is finely focused. Sometimes entire pictures turn out to be out of focus and other times the wrong object is in focus.

Furthermore, it's difficult to tell what distance the focus is currently set when using manual focus. There's no estimate of feet or meters like I'm accustomed to on my G2.

Does anyone else have problems using the manual focus? If not, what's your secret?!

SysUs (Dan)
SysUs is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Mar 19, 2003, 11:36 PM   #2

i cant figure if the manual focus works at all

the manual tells you to press the MF button on side and turn the command dial until the MF icons appear. then to use manual focus, you need to press and hold the MF button and turn the command dial to focus... however, that shuts off the manual focus icons.

also, with focus confirmation on, i dont see any indicators... what should i see when confirmation is on???

very frustrating
mikeyinsunnyfla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 20, 2003, 12:55 AM   #3

Hi Mike -

I don't see a Manual Focus indicator when I press and hold the MF button. This is the way I use MF:

Press and hold down the MF
Turn the command dial

Only after turning the command dial, does a bar appear with the macro symbol on the left and the infinity symbol on the right. I suppose this is the Manual Focus indicator. If you turn the dial only a few clicks or so, you won't see a change in the bar. It sometimes takes a lot of clicks.

As for the Focus Confirmation: it is only supposed to show more contrast when a particular object (or part of an object) is in focus. My problem with that is - the screen is a bit too small for me to determine how much contrast is displayed and what amount of contrast I should expect for a fine focus.

I'm skeptical, but I still hope that Nikon will acknowledge this limitation and maybe put a new version of firmware out to make the feature more usable.

SysUs (Dan)
SysUs is offline   Reply With Quote