Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Nikon

Old Jul 9, 2002, 10:33 AM   #1
Default big pixels vs little pixels:5700 vs D100?

Call me skeptical!

I am a scientist and, by tainting skeptical. The Nikon rep tells me that the D100 is inherently sharper than the 5700 because the chip is larger in the D100.

This does not make sense to me.

any good quality lens should resolve well beyond the physical pixel size at the image plane of either camera. Putting the pixels closer together should, I think, only mean losing resolution IF the circle of confusion of the optics is bigger than the the size of the pixels.

Moreover, assuming that the lens is designed to provide optimal sharpness at its designed image size on the film plane, then, as we all know using only PART of the image, e.g. as in digital zoom, means LOSS of resolution power of the lens! BUT, this is exactly what is done in a D-SLR since the chip covers only part of the image plane.

Frankly, all other things being equal (and I am sure there are other considerations) the 5700 should, IMO give a higher resolution than the D100!
Steves is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jul 9, 2002, 3:05 PM   #2
Default Pixel size

I think he meant that the pixel size of the D100 is bigger. Therefore you would get better images.
Ben Hoog. is offline   Reply With Quote