Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Nikon

Old Jul 9, 2002, 9:34 PM   #1
Default defective coolpix 5000 (two of 'em)

on 5/29/02 ordered 5000 from Harmony computer. Backordered and delivered a month after order.
Camera was defective according to Nikon support. On/Off function erratic and batteries had to be removed and replaced to turn it on.
Harmony arranged for a swap with no problems and replaced the original promptly.
IT had the same problem.
Nikon Tech support assured me this was a problem they had not encountered yet. Let alone the same person twice and no one else.
Harmony accepted the second camera for a refund.
Went to Ritz in person to buy a new one. Third time proved the charm. So far.
In all fairness I have heard nothing negative about the 5000. I also can't complain about Harmony's response to the problem.
Has anyone else heard of anything like this with the Coolpix 5000?

UPDATE!! Nikon had not heard of this problem, but it was finally traced to the flashcard. With new card the latest camera works fine. With the old one, problems resume. Manufacturer of bad card is sending a replacementl.

[Edited on 7-17-2002 by sweetcraver]
sweetcraver is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jul 10, 2002, 12:48 AM   #2
Default Stay away

Harmony has a bad reputation. Did you happen to check the serial number of the two cameras? I wouldn't put it past them if they sent the same camera back to you.

Check their status with the BBB. Notice how their "retail" store is closed, and there is no mailing address to be found on their website?
Ben Hoog. is offline   Reply With Quote