Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Nikon

Old May 4, 2003, 2:54 PM   #1
Default suggestions for a wide angle and telephoto lens for cp995

all suggestions and opinions would be greatly appreciated!
jsamiee is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old May 5, 2003, 3:20 AM   #2

Why not use the ones especially made for you digicam - it often will give you the best picturequality!

Klaus DK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 5, 2003, 5:00 AM   #3

I would agree with Klaus - with some additions. The 995 works perfectly with the Nikon wide angle and telephoto lenses. Both the TC-E2 (2x) and TC-E3 (3x) are top quality glass.

If you need more telephoto, you can use the excellent Eagle Eye OpticZoom 5x available from Eagle Eye in the U.K. at:

And from PhotoSolve in the U.S.:

With "any" telephoto or wide angle, you really also need the Xtend-a-View 2x loupe/sunshade available from PhotoSolve (above). This lets you use the LCD in bright sunlight for composing your shot because the viewfinder is only an approximation of what your lens sees (not a TTL view). With the Xtend-a-View you will have an exact view of the frame.

It's also possible to attach an Olympus TCON-17 (1.7x) to the Eagle Eye 5x and shoot at 977.5mm and get good shots with minimal vignetting (shading in the corners). You will need either a tripod or "beanbag" type support at these focal lengths. You can visit my site at:

www.lin-evans.com and click on the Nikon and Telephoto links to see the results with the OpticZoom and the combination of OpticZoom and B-300 1.7x (the B-300 is no longer made, but the TCON-17 is the same lens).

Also you can use an 8x CrystalVue tele, but I personally believe that the OpticZoom plus TCON-17 gives better results with more light.

Lin Evans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 5, 2003, 9:55 AM   #4

I can vouch for the TC-E2/3 and the wide angle lens. Top notch. I have a Chyrstal View Optics sharpshooter (8X) which I used to.
TheeBadOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 5, 2003, 10:35 AM   #5

thanks you guys! appreciate it. i ordered the nikon wide angle. will get the telephoto soon.
i had a cp900, then a cp950, went to the camedia 4040 but just missed my coolpix and got the 990. it just wasn't the same without the swivel ability ya know?
jsamiee is offline   Reply With Quote