Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Nikon

Old May 15, 2003, 6:14 PM   #1
Default 5000 vs 5700

I am considering these two cameras. Which would you prefer, not considering the difference in price. I am interested in features, pro and con for each camera.

Ron Lewis is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old May 15, 2003, 8:21 PM   #2

I have never tried the 5000 however, I have had the 5700 for about 5 months now and very impressed with the detail it captures. I use it in my part-time (full-time would be nice!) photography business and have had no complaints about quality from past clients. I have made prints as large as 13x19 and they rival anything I have seen done with a film SLR. For day trips the stock battery is fine (I bought 2 EN-EL1 at first) but, for weddings, weekend trips, etc I bought the MB-E5700 external battery pack. I also bought the SB-80DX SpeedLight which is fantastic and will also go nicely with the next Nikon camera I get when business really picks up or when I have the money ...maybe the D100 or equivilant

To make a long story short, the features in the 5700 are abound, you can't go wrong with it. Steve reviewed both cameras and can explain the finer details here:

koruvs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 21, 2003, 11:47 AM   #3
Default Nikon 5000 or 5700

The quality of pics is about the same. Do you want wide angle or do you want telephoto. I went with the 5000 for $583 over the 5700. I love the wide angle lens at about 28mm and with a converter it goes to 19mm.

June 1 Nikon will announce the new cameras in their line up. But the 5000 has been discontinued and is nearly or totally sold out at many stores. Better decide soon.
seidstep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 21, 2003, 5:16 PM   #4

I have owned the 5700 for about 8 months and love it also. The picture quality is great, from small to large prints(Natural Looking colors). The zoom is a plus. I have never really needed a wider lens than the 5700 can provide but the zoom is definately a plus for closeups. The only problem with the camera is the low light focusing which really isn't all that bad for a digital and a manual ring is needed. This camera is not made for indoor sports shooting and outdoors it is adequate. But for still life and macro it is fabulous.
gverde is offline   Reply With Quote