Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Nikon

Old Aug 12, 2006, 2:35 PM   #11

The "Cons" are mentioned under the section of "Main Dish" in my article.

The books you insist me to read about the basic rules of photography, I read them 22 years ago, when I started with my first film camera, a Canon AE-1.
While the basic rules of photography still remain the same, digital cameras are optical devices operated and controlled by pre-programmed electronic circuits, thus meaning part of each camera's behaviour in the light depends on the preprogrammed settings. All of them operate under some basic rules but a slight variation in each camera's behaviour under the light is not strange and is acceptable.

That is also the reason, that all cameras don't have exactly the same White Balance, or Colors, or Brightness when they capture the same image.
That is also shown from the sample photos captured by different cameras when reviewed in your website.

So, even by lowering the Exposure Compensation that itself speeds up the shutter, that may not be enough between different cameras in order to drop the shutter speed into such levels that yield blurry-free images.

And yes, Im using a faster shutter speed. Actually I'm forcing it since the 7900 doesn't have manual adjustments. But in order to force the shutter to drop from 2 seconds down to levels of 1/4 - 1/160 seconds, at least for the 7900, only by adjusting the Exposure Compensation, is not enough.

Your claim that "Exposure Compensation" can speed-up the shutter is correct in terms of the basic photographic rules and partially correct with the digital pre-programmed circuits, because of slight variations between different camera manufacturers, but in the case of the 7900 "Exposure Compensation" only by itself, is not enough to drop the shutter speed to sufficient levels in order to yield blurry-free photos.
And that is because as I said before, apart from the basics of photography, digital cameras are optical devices, controlled and operated by pre-programmed circuits. They all follow the basic rules of photography, but there is a slight variation between them according to the preprogrammed settings each manufacturer uses.

Arxaggelos_GT is offline   Reply With Quote