Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Olympus dSLR

Old Oct 28, 2006, 9:07 AM   #11

cshanaberger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 28, 2006, 11:06 AM   #12

Well, it certainly soundslike a great camera!

I fully agree that the Olympus EVOLT E-500 is a very nice looking camera, andit is also packed full of interesting features.

Thanks so much for your points of views!!
BenjaminXYZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 28, 2006, 11:45 AM   #13

Actually, the main shortcoming with the camera IS the viewfinder. It's too small. It's also not particularly useable for manual focusing.
DougJGreen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 1, 2006, 10:00 AM   #14

I think this camera is feature rich and a lot of "bang for your buck". donna
I agree with Donna. I love my E-500. It's a comfortable-feeling camera and lots of features to take advantage of. I haven't had any problems with mine either. Heck, I even successfully got that rebate offered at the time. Though I didn't rely on the rebate at all in my pricing decision, I had less faith in getting that, than I did in the camera. :lol:

I'm still learning to see how good I can get with the kit lenses for now. In some situations I already know I may need a bit more in the lens department, but that can wait.

I think this camera (and maybe Olympus in general?) tends to get underestimated at times, from what I'd read online. I didn't let any "Canon"-ites or "Nikon"-ers discourage me while I was researching what I wanted from a camera, though. :-)

FLICKR: pmbpro

pmbpro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 3, 2006, 9:45 PM   #15

Ditto what Doug said. The view finder is the only thing about this camera that bugs me. I don't like having the view finder info on the side, I'd prefer it on the bottom like my E-1 (love the E-1's view finder). With the E-500 it is very hard to see the info if I have my glasses on. But to answer your question "is it adequate" - just.

Other than that, like Donna said, it is a great bang for the buck and feature rich and the kit lenses are very good.

P.S: I agree with Brent. The "wait" for the dust cleaning proceedure is negligible and it really works.

campoly is offline   Reply With Quote