Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Olympus dSLR

Old Nov 2, 2006, 11:52 AM   #1

There are two major warehouse stores selling the E500 kit with two lenses but the second lenses are different at each store. They both include the camera with the 40-150mm f3.5-4.5 lens but one of the stores packages it with a 17.5-45mm f3.5-5.6 lens and the other packages it with 14-45mm f3.5/5.6. Can someone tell me which would be the better choice for someone that is new to the SLR world or if ones is better than the other? This is a gift for my wife who has always said she wanted to get into photograph as a hobby and I don't pretend to know anything about photograph so any help is appreciated.
jmlonegan is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Nov 2, 2006, 1:47 PM   #2

The 14-45mm lens is slightly better. The main difference is it offers a wider wide angle setting. That's useful, but how useful it is depends on you. For me personally, I would need an even wider specialty wide angle lens anyways so it wouldn't matter to me. But if I didn't have another, even wider lens (such as the much more costly 11-22 lens) I would definitely be willing to pay $30-50 more for the ability to go to 14mm on that lens, rather than 17.5mm at the widest setting.

The 14-45 is also slightly better constructed, having a metal mount compared to a plastic mount on the 17.5-45 lens. But that is also a relatively minor difference, unless you are pretty rough on your camera and lenses.
DougJGreen is offline   Reply With Quote