Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Olympus dSLR

Old Nov 19, 2006, 1:21 AM   #1

does anyone know the trigger voltage of the old oly T20 flash used on the OM series of film cameras? If the voltage is not too high what are the opinions of using it on the E-300.

hamtaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Nov 19, 2006, 3:57 PM   #2

According to http://www.botzilla.com/photo/strobeVolts.html trigger voltage can vary between 2.6v & 7.4v.

On the E-300 you'll only be able to use the flash in manual or auto modes...you won't be able to use the flash in TTL mode or you may risk damaging the camera and/or flash.

Another thing is this flash doesn't have much power, it has a guide number of 20m, the FL-36 is 36m, and the FL-50 is 50m. If you don't already own this flash it had better be for a VERY good price. Here's some of the options you would get with an FL-36 or FL-50 that you don't get with the T-20:

TTL (you adjust the camera, and the flash automatically compensates)
focus assist illuminator
auto zoom flash head
more power
FP-TTL mode

Just a note that with every new generations of cameras manufactures update their TTL flashes to go with them, but that means the older generation of flashes won't work properly with newer equipment. Even the FL-40 flash from the C-series of cameras won't work with the E-300 in TTL mode.

FYI I own an E-300 and FL-36 flash.
Mikefellh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 20, 2006, 3:05 AM   #3

Thanks for your reply. I already own the t20 from using it on my OM4 and at the present time the fl36 is out of my price reach.
hamtaro is offline   Reply With Quote