Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Olympus dSLR

Old Nov 29, 2006, 10:17 PM   #1

Hi gang!

Has anyone tried this lens before (with either the old OM film cameras or with digital camera & adapter), or have any opinions on it?

I've been looking for a good telephoto lens that has more reach than the 40-150mm I currently have. I certainly can't afford the 50-200mm digital version, so I was considering the OM 300mm telephoto lens. I do have the OM adapter for my E500 (I just got a great deal on a 50mm f1.8 lens too for $25).

I saw a potential deal to get an OM 300mm telephoto lens or $125US (about $140 CDN) with its original leather case from its original owner and it's in great condition (no fungus, dust, haze or scratches), so I was hoping to get it.

FLICKR: pmbpro
pmbpro is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Dec 2, 2006, 4:26 PM   #2

I'm currently using the OM 300mm lens on my e500. I'm looking at it like this, with the 300mm ZD digital lense being sooooo expensive and the 50-500 sigma digital be the next cheepest at $1000, that the OM 300mm for the price is a steal.

Yes, focusing is a little bit of a trick at first, but like any other lens, once you learn the sweat spot you'll be fine.

I've been enjoying the lens alot, just wish it was slightly a bit more sharper, but hey, for $135 for lens and adapter, I'm not going to complain!!

I also have thrown a x2 converter onto the e500 then the 300mm lens and have gotten some amazing photos of the moon!!

Anyway, for the price, I'd say go for it, unless the sigma 50-500mm lens is within your budget.
Tat2dGuy is offline   Reply With Quote