Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Olympus dSLR

Old Dec 26, 2006, 3:43 PM   #1

I have shot for over15 years with two Olympus OM-4's and I am thinking of going digital. I have10 lenses that I would like to use with the adapter. I have a Oly 50mm 1.4,Oly 50mm macro, Vivitar series One 90mm 2.5 macro, Oly 75-150 and a 19-35. extension tubes, these are my favs.and many others thatI want to carry over to the E-500. My concern is will the quality be there? Will the pictures have the contrast and sharpness that I'm used to on my film bodies? Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
hamonrye is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Dec 26, 2006, 5:05 PM   #2

I believe that you will find the quality when used on an E-500 to be excellent using the Oly 50mm f1.4, the Oly 50mm macro, and the Vivitar 90mm Series 1 Macro. You might see a noticeable improvement in quality if you stop the 50mm f1.4 down 1 or 2 f-stops, and this may also be true with the 90mm f2.5 Macro.

You will probably be somewhat less satisfied with the 70-150mm zoom, and almost certainly be disappointed with the 19-35mm zoom on the E-500.

As a general rule, high quality prime focal length (i.e. not zoom) lenses designed for 35mm film use perform quite well when adapted to digital, but older zoom lenses (especially the wide ones like your 19-35) tend to exhibit noticeable color fringing from chromatic aberation on small sensor DSLRs like the E-500.

FYI, I have extensive experience with using several different types of manual focus lenses on my E-300 and E-1 bodies, and my view is that the ones that work the best are the various macro lenses (I've used the Tamron 90mm f2.5 which has a similar optical formula as your Vivitar Series 1, and the Micro-Nikkor 55mm f3.5 both with excellent results). I also find that most any brand of fast 50mm lens makes a great portrait lens on 4/3 DSLRs.

With longer telephoto zooms, the results are mixed, and all I can say is, try them and see. I got quite good results with my Tokina ATX 100-300mm f4 zoom, but most of my shorter zooms are not so great when moved to digital. With Telephoto primes, the general rule is, if it was good on film, it should be good on digital, so long as you can focus it accurately - not trivial with the E-500 viewfinder.
DougJGreen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 26, 2006, 9:11 PM   #3

You can get info about using OM lenses on E-system cameras here, including links to reviews of various OM lenses:

While you're there click on "Other Articles" as well for lots more general E-system info.
Mikefellh is offline   Reply With Quote