Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Olympus dSLR

Old Jan 11, 2007, 5:46 PM   #1

Since I started looking at the Oly Zukio 85mm f2/2.8 and other old OM mount primes I really can;t understand why when Oly intro'd the Exx, they didn't introduce some mid-range primes at f2.8 - say 75mm,100mm and 200m, and also a very competitively priced 25mm f1.8 ? I'm sure the markets for them is definetly there.

:O :?

HarjTT is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 12, 2007, 4:14 AM   #2

hi Harj
take a look here

there are plenty of OM lenses listed
they really need FT F:2.0 or less primes
in particular in the wide/ultra-wide range
this is supposed to be the advantage of FT

Rriley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 12, 2007, 5:38 AM   #3

It's a zoom-crazy world out there, HarjTT. Marketing is everything. In the highly competitive DSLR market companies are always looking to offer more for less and try to convert (upgrade)those P&S users to a new product. Zooms give the appearance of more flexibility, which in many cases is true. The fact that primes often offer better optics and a fixed-maximum aperture is lost on the sales analysts making a pitch to company management. They're in the mindset of the first-time DSLR buyer who's used to the zoom on their P&S and don't want to give it up. It's all about what sells.
stowaway7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 16, 2007, 3:38 AM   #4

Look how many still use the original kit lenses (myself included). The average person isn't looking for super high end images. People are looking for more telephoto (up to 500mm), or wider (11mm or less). Both those ranges are mid-priced zooms (50-500mm and 11-22mm).

Then again I just bought a 50mm f/1.8 and a 500mm f/8 mirror lens...what does that say about me? I was looking at a 16mm Sigma fisheye, but it didn't do a thing different than the 14 end of the 14-45mm.
Mikefellh is offline   Reply With Quote