Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Olympus dSLR

Old Jan 16, 2007, 11:32 AM   #1

Recently I have been taking some shots of birds on our feeders in the backyard and
needed a way to release the shutter without being near the camera. The remote sensor
on most dslr's is located on the front, so using the RM-1 remote as it was intended, from in
front of the camera is out of the question.

I did an experiment with a dental examination mirror and found I could release the
shutter from behind by reflecting the IR signal off the mirror and into the sensor.
I then fabricated a bracket that mounts to the ball head of my tripod that supports
a round mirror that is 1" in dia. The mirror mount is also adjustable to change the
angle of refraction.

I used 1/8" x 1/2" aluminum for the bracket. This material along with the 6-32 thumb
screws and knurled nut is available at most home improvement stores. The round
mirror assortment ( $1.44 ) can be found in the crafts department of your local "one
stop" store.

I used 2 thumb screws to mount the bracket to the tripod ball head and another
thumb screw and knurled nut for the angle adjustment.

The most critical part of the whole process was tapping the holes in the ball head.
It seems to be made from cast aluminum or some other alloy and those type materials
and taps do not get along very well. However, I took my time and was able to tap the
holes without breaking off the tap in the hole. I have, I must say, broken my share of
taps in cast aluminum, guess I was lucky this time.

With the bracket mounted to the tripod, it is in the right position for both my Olympus E-500
and my E-10. I have the TCON-300 for the E-10 and will have to fabricate another bracket
when using that setup.

I found that I could extend my distance from the camera by using IR remote extender
that I had a few years ago and was no longer in use. I can mount the receiver
pyramid on an el cheapo tripod and locate it behind the camera and fire the RM-1
remote at the transmitter and release the shutter from a greater distance.

The remote transmitter converts the IR signal into an RF signal to the receiver and
the receiver then converts it back to IR. This enables me to stay inside and not
spook the birds and be able to release the shutter.

Of course, I have to aim the camera and focus on the bird feeder.

For those interested in seeing some photos of the bracket, etc., email me at:

Dale, Shelby, NC
Damau is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 16, 2007, 3:16 PM   #2

nice tip, way to overcome an adverse condition....thanks for the writeup
-=edge=- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 16, 2007, 5:56 PM   #3

Thanks "edge",

I appreciate your comments.

Damau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 17, 2007, 4:11 AM   #4

Great post Dale.

Been thinking of this myself for sometime but I do not have your abilities to build something like this.
Old Jim is offline   Reply With Quote