Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Olympus dSLR

Old Feb 23, 2007, 3:17 PM   #11

Well I did find some more 35mm f3.5 photos on flickr:

Seems they're almost all macro shots though. No one seems to be using it as a portrait lens. Word seems to be the 35mm is better for macro, but for portrait distances you can use the f2 for better blur.

But I see no reason the 35mm wouldn't still be very good at it, and it apparently focuses more quickly. The 50 f2 though looks just great for portraits.

kenbalbari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 23, 2007, 10:08 PM   #12

I don't have the 35mm to compare and consider the 50mm a little long for full body shots, but the 50mm is great for upper body portrait shots.

Not exactly a portrait shot, but the only thing I have laying around close to it.

50mm @ f/2.0

satire23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 25, 2007, 5:42 PM   #13

The 35mm f/3.5 macro is an extremely small lens with a surprisingly good close-focus ability. I do not regret the $200 spent on it as it is an entirely different animal than the 14-45 mm standard zoom. I've never used it for portrait work on people, but I've taken plenty of abstract images with it, and the lens seems to lend a rather subtle softness unlike the standard zoom. My guess is that this would make a great lens for portaiture, and most photographers aren't going to see much of a difference between this and the 50mm f/2 beyond focal lenth.
Attached Images
wildestseas is offline   Reply With Quote