Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Olympus dSLR

Old Feb 22, 2007, 2:00 PM   #11

you are right HarjTT. I think over 60% of the best photos are candid street photos
wass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 22, 2007, 3:17 PM   #12

I gotta sign that, most of my work that I do is for Regeneration of U.K. cities, I`m in sunny Manchester on Tuesday , yippy dippy:G

Thanks for bringing that to my attention HarjTT

tommysdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 22, 2007, 6:36 PM   #13

I rrealise this is an old thread but just in case people are curious of the outcome this is the reply the govenment sent about the pitition:

Thank you for signing the petition on the Downing Street website calling for the Prime Minister to stop proposed restrictions on photography in public places.

This petition has already attracted over 60,000 signatures from people who obviously share your concern. Not surprisingly, the idea that the Government might be poised to restrict your ability to take photos has caused some puzzlement and even alarm.

We have therefore decided to respond to this petition before its closing date of August, in order to reassure people.

The Government appreciates that millions of people in this country enjoy photography. So we have checked carefully to see if any Government department was considering any proposal that might possibly lead to the sort of restrictions suggested by this petition. We have been assured this is not the case.

There may be cases where individual schools or other bodies believe it is necessary to have some restrictions on photography, for instance to protect children, but that would be a matter for local decisions.

In fact, Simon Taylor, who started the petition, has since made clear that he was not really referring to Government action or legislation. His main concern appears to be that photographic societies and other organisations may introduce voluntary ID cards for members to help them explain why they are taking photographs. Again, any such scheme would not involve the Government.

We hope this re-assures you and clears up the confusion.

artbyphil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 22, 2007, 6:51 PM   #14

Since this was posted and updated, I've since learned that one part of Canada (Quebec) now restricts street photography:

"Like Street Photography? Forget Quebec
When you photograph a stranger in the street, do you think about the possible legal ramifications of publishing the shot? Hopefully you do to some extent - if you plan on licensing the image for commercial uses, you will likely need a model release."

The entire article is at:

Mikefellh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 23, 2007, 2:15 AM   #15

Just think if they did that in Paris?!

I thought they had done it in Paris? I don't think Robert Doisneau could work in the same way today (despite many of his famous pictures being set up).

The big problem in the UK is a new generation of 'scared' people coming into positions of 'responsibility' , and who have never seen the world in a normal perspective. I don't mean to invokethe old cliché of 'it was better in my day', but when it comes to things like child abduction, crime, terrorism etc, it is neither much worse, nor much better than is used to be, it is just different.

Media attention to crimes against children has led to a generation of kids that haven't played out on the street with friends, and the perceptionamongst those kids is that they are the next victim, when in fact they are highly unlikely to be any sort of victim. A period of tranquillity between thelast lot of terrorists (in the UK)and the new wave of terrorists lulled people into a false sense of security, and the people growing up in that period, already nervous of other things through media hysteria,see the new attacks as part of the same problem. And the knee jerk reaction is to ban things because it easilyremoves something they would otherwise need to think about intelligently and deal with on a realistic level.

Anyway, thanks for the heads up HarjTT.
OCD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 23, 2007, 8:53 AM   #16

Mikefellh wrote:
if you plan on licensing the image for commercial uses, you will likely need a model release."
That hasbeen true for decades, at least in the US. If you try to sell an image to any savvy customer (e.g. advertising agencies) they will definitely demand a model release, if only to avoid lawsuits.

tkurkowski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 23, 2007, 8:57 AM   #17

HarjTT wrote:
Looks like the UK governments really lost the plot and now wants to restrict photography in public places
Hi, Harj

This kind of thing is also starting to happen in the US, but without any laws actually being written. Recent issues of PopPhoto have had discussions where police have prevented photographersfrom taking photos of public places, with no law preventing such photography. Paranoia is running rampant.

tkurkowski is offline   Reply With Quote