Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Olympus dSLR

Old Apr 21, 2007, 12:52 PM   #1

I just added the 11-22 lens, and it works great, but it exposed some limitations to the pop-up flash: at less than 22mm, the lens casts a shadow on the lower part of the picture, and it also is of course, not powerful enough to light up as much of a roomful of people (for example) as the lens can "see". So, I need advice on a flash system.
A friend has a rather extensive collection of OM camera's, lenses, etc. and he wondered if his T20 flash would work with the newer cameras. (He is now a Canon DSLR fanatic, and is willing to give me some of his OM stuff!).
Anybody tried this flash with an E 500 or other E system camera, or know of online info on how to do it?
dandand is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Apr 21, 2007, 5:56 PM   #2

You can't use older TTL flashes with newer cameras, including TTL for film cameras like the T20 and G40, as well as older digital flashes like the FL-40...the only TTL flashes currently can be used with E-system cameras are the FL-36 and FL-50. Note that even an external flash on a camera may still have flash shadow (personally I use an FL-CB05 cable and have the flash high above the camera so I don't have shadows). The FL-36 can zoom down to 12mm, or with the flip-out diffuser down to 8mm.

Here's a more detailed message about using flashes I posted in another forum:

Let's start from basics...you can use ANY flash you want that will fit into the hot shoe with regards to trigger voltage not being over 24v (a 2AA flash can have a trigger voltage over 200volts) and non-compatible TTL flashes (Canon, Nikon, older Olympus flashes for film cameras and older digital like the FL-40).

There are three types of flashes, manual, automatic, and TTL...with manual and automatic flashes you have to set a shutter speed under 1/180th and use the chart on the back of the flash to determine the aperture setting...IOW you have to use Manual mode on the camera and do all the setting yourself.

With TTL the flash and camera talk to each other...when you change a setting on the camera the flash will compensate, and vice-versa. Also with the FL-36/50 there's also automatic zooming of the flash when you zoom the lens, and also when focusing in lowlight the FL-36/50 will also emit a red glow to help the camera focus (rather than the strobing that's done by the internal flash). Just a note that other brands TTL (Canon & Nikon) are NOT compatible with Olympus TTL...also older TTL flashes like the FL-40 and those made for film cameras (like the G40, T20, T32, etc.) are also NOT compabile with today's digital cameras.

Personally I use the FL-36, and sometimes I add a Metz 34 CS-2 slave for fill for my portable shooting, but in studio I use monolights (these are a strobe combined with a halogen light in one unit connected to the camera via a PC (Pin-Circle) connector), or photofloods.
Mikefellh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 21, 2007, 7:11 PM   #3

Thanks for the information. It will be a big help in deciding what to do in the future.
I took a bunch of pictures last night at a wedding rehearsal dinner, and I sent this request out before processing the photo's. It turned out that a little cropping and brightening did wonders for cleaning up the pictures, so they aren't too bad. I'll go over your response later when things settle down.

Thanks again.
dandand is offline   Reply With Quote