Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Olympus dSLR

Old Apr 27, 2007, 11:11 AM   #1

I shoot with Canon, so I am not terribly familiar with all of the Olympus offerings. However, I have a friend who lilkes some of the pictures I have been taking with aVERY cheap Canon 50mm f/1.8 lens. My question is if there is something similiar for Olympus that isn't terribly expensive. Everything I have found is in the $200-$300 range.
shinerr is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Apr 27, 2007, 2:07 PM   #2

No, unless he wants to use an older lens with an adapter where it will only focus manually, the least expensive four-thirds prime is the 35mm f3.5 for about $200.

kenbalbari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 27, 2007, 4:40 PM   #3

I have the 35mm and for sharpness it's worth every penny of the $200.

stowaway7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 27, 2007, 6:00 PM   #4

Your friend should really be asking in person...sometimes answers can be misunderstood through a third party. You may want to introduce your friend to http://www.wrotniak.net/photo/oly-e/ to learn lots more about their camera, including the posibility of using older OM lenses (as mentioned above, "use an older lens with an adapter where it will only focus manually") which is described in full detail there.
Mikefellh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 3, 2007, 3:52 PM   #5

50mm f/1.8 on the Canon, asuming it's an APS-C sensor, would give you around 75mm effective focal length (EFL) at 35mm full frame.

The Olympus Zuiko Digital 35mm f/3.5 macro has a similar EFL of about 70mm, is really sharp, costs $200 and is also a macro.

The difference would then be depth of field. Between 4/3 and APS-C, I think the DOF difference is 1 stop, meaning that if you shoot at f/3.5 on the APS-C to have a similar DOF at the same EFL the Olympus would have to shoot at f/2.8. This thread on this forum explains DOF: http://forums.steves-digicams.com/fo...mp;forum_id=36.

So yeah, the ZD35mm macro is a great lens to have as it is, and your friend can even use it to "match" your shots, provided you shoot at f/4.x or higher.
paultakeda is offline   Reply With Quote