Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Olympus dSLR

Old Jun 13, 2007, 8:47 AM   #1

I finally decided to get a telephoto lens and picked up an old Zukio 135 f3.5 from ebay - my first ever prime lens as I think I'll wait for the new lenses before deciding which one to get. First impressions of the Zukio 135mm f3.5
1. Its small - and did I say its small and light weight :O.
2. No focus lock confirmation - a bit of a pain but wide open at f3.5 it looks pretty clear through the vf.
3. The balance of the E1 is off with the lens - my hand held technique doesn't feel as comfortable or stable at all compared to the 14-54Zd or when using the FZ10.
4. Working at a fixed aperture is definetlly a bit of a challenge.
5. Aperture - f3.5 is ok but next time I'll go for an f2.8 or faster lens.
6. IQ - pretty good to my eyes.
I took the lens out for a first test run yesterday after work and went down to Holland Park, London and here's a few from the 1 hour shoot. All hand held, RAw converted to jpeg in CS3, no cropping, ISO200 and between f3.5-8, 50% USM and on some pics just +0.5EVF in CS3 :

1. Peacock - eyes closed

2. Relax

3. Japanese Lantern 1 - no PP other than 50% USM

4. Birds

5. Waterfall - no PP other than 50% USM

I think for the £35 that I paid for the lens its a steal.

:? :O
HarjTT is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jun 18, 2007, 8:36 PM   #2

beautiful! I really like "relax" and both bird photos. I got the same lens basicly for free when i bought the OM adapter for my e500. Its full of dust specks and a pro would consider it garbagebut it still takes decent pics and seems solid.

heres a photo i looks in my backyard with the 135 f3.5

the black on the sides is actually part of my porch fencing.
Attached Images
batrug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 21, 2007, 7:44 PM   #3

Hi Bat

Have to agree with you on the 135 - its a really good lens even though its only f3.5 and cheap as anything. I went for the 135 after reading a review of OM lenses on biofos.com where some of the old manual primes were just as good or better than the 50-200ZD and as I'm waiting to see how the new 50-200Zd SWD pans out was really important - plus theyre cheap as chips. What I need know is a 50mm f1.8 and possibly a 180mm f2.8 - Leica R's, Zukio's or CZ in the M42 mount would be just fine. I had a go with a 180mm Zukio f2.8 today on the E1 and that setup just feels perfect - I was amazed how balanced the camera and lens felt in the hand.

Thats a cool shot, and reminds me of a style that Micheal Grecco uses.

here's a few more from yesterdays trip to the Japanese Garden in Holland Park again using the 135mm Zukio:

The rest of pics - a mix of eth 14-54Zd and the 135mm are here -

:O :?
HarjTT is offline   Reply With Quote