Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Olympus dSLR

Old Jun 22, 2007, 6:53 PM   #1

As you know i've become quiet a fan of Lightzone (for linux) and it has become my main RAW def application. Recently I have started to play around with Adobe;s CS3 and came across a difference in the files generated by the apps - which is only visible at 100% but I'm sure would effect any large prints (ie bigger than a 8x10)

After work started to work on a couple of files using Lightzone, including this one and at some point managed to zoom in to 100% and noticed some grain/noise/artifacts in the tiff file. I then opened the same RAW file in CS3 and applied the same PP (as close as possible) to the file and both look very similar. Here's the original shot - E1 + OM 135 @ f5.6. Original RAW file converted to jpeg using CS3.

Now here are the 100% crops:

1. Lightzone 2. Adobe CS3

Now I haven;t printed both files out but I'm assumin on a 8x10 you won;t even notice it but what do you think could be causing the difference ? The only thing that in the PP that is different is that there is no NR applied to the Lightzone file (the NR just doesn;t seem to work or I just don;t know how to use it) and the CS3 file has just the default NR setting applied to it. I'm still very happy with the output from Lightzone and for a free app its great and can't be beat, although I am using CS3 a lot more since i had a drive fail on my Linux box than I thought i would, esp with CS3's high light and shadow recover warning.

Here's a shot that I completely over exposed and managed to resuce with CS3 - E1 + 135mm f3.5 Zukio

:O :?

HarjTT is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jun 22, 2007, 11:52 PM   #2

Adobe lightroom would be a better product to compare with, it's made specifically for RAW
-=edge=- is offline   Reply With Quote