Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Olympus dSLR

Old Sep 21, 2007, 12:52 PM   #21

They found that the E-510 provided a 2 to 2.5 stop improvement with a 200mm lens, and less at shorter focal lengths. (The in-lens IS improvement typically was 2 to 3 stops with a few exceptions, so the in-lens systems on average really aren't that much more effective despite popular belief. But they definitely end up being more expensive if you buy a few IS lenses.)
This pretty much confirms what Andrzej Wrotniak found in his tests. In case anyone hasn't seen it, he tested just with the kit lenses and found an avrage of 1.05 stops at 14mm, 1.61 stops at 42mm, and 2.23 stops at 150mm. It looks like a pretty exhaustive test too, involving over 600 shots total.

Also looking at the popphoto test, I'd say that while it appears that the very best stabilized lenses (like the 70-400 f4L IS or the 18-200VR) might beat the in body systems by as much as a stop, it appears that MOST stabilized lenses offer no improvement at all over in camera stabilization.

In promotional material for the Canon 70-200 f4L IS, introduced just under a year ago, Canon says "the optical Image Stabilization in the new EF 70-200mm f/4L IS USM lens provides up to an incredible four stops of shake correction - a first for Canon IS lenses." Likewise, with the Nikon 80-200 VR, Nikon talks about a new VR II "Enhanced Vibration Reduction" also promising 4 stops.

So unless you are buying the latest, greatest, and priciest lenses, "in lens" stabilization appears to be no advantage (and in some cases it seems may be a disadvantage) over body based systems. And even then it isn't at all clear that that is a disadvantage of the system design; those were mostly all consumer grade cameras. Whereas the infamous leaked pdf for the E-3 claims up to 5 stops of stabilization.

And, as an aside, when I headed over to slrgear.com to grab those quotes on those lenses, I came across this teaser, which might be of interest:

There are more lenses still in the "old test" queue, and a bunch of Olympus Zuiko lenses just tested and awaiting writeup. (Nice-looking glass, BTW.)
kenbalbari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 26, 2007, 7:09 PM   #22

I read about the new L10 again yesterday at the 1001 Noisy Cameras! blog, it had a JP site with the production numbers.
These new lens are going to be hard to get, same for camera if the numbers are correct. Small output, can't say panasonic is competing with the bigger names
I wonder if they want to be cautious.. not have the camera drop in price like the L1 did?
tommccarty is offline   Reply With Quote