Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Olympus dSLR

Old Sep 23, 2007, 11:53 PM   #1

What brand of lenses can you use on the E-500? I havent' the slightest clue. I know I need to get a better lens for my camera. It probably won't happen until after the holidays, but I thought I could start looking and see what kind of $$ I am looking at for one.

I really am really lens illiterate! And I was wondering if anyone could give me advice on where I can learn about lenses, and what the different sizes and terms mean? I am really lost on this.

I need a good lens for shooting horses at the racetrack. A friend told me I need one that goes up to 300mm or 250 at the least?

Where is a good place on the net to buy lenses? I figured ebay would be a good place to start, since I did buy my camera from there for a good price and am very satisfied with the purchases I've made.

Thanks for all my 'inexperienced' questions. I soooo appreciate all the advice.
HoosierShadow is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Sep 24, 2007, 12:55 AM   #2

Im no expert but ill hopefully get the ball rolling.

Olympus dslr's use the 4/3's format so you can use any lens at its full potential that is made for 4/3's. All digital olympus and panasonic/leica lenses are made for 4/3's. You can also use older manual lenses from all sorts of brands with an adaptor (ebay). You wont be able to auto focus with these manual lenses but they are usually cheap and fast. Speed, a major factor in quality lenses,is rated in f/stops andrefers to how much light the lens captures. A fast/bright lens can use faster shutter speeds (less blur) then slow/dim lenses, which require longer exposers. The smaller f number, the brighter the lens. Faster lenses also give a shallower depth of feild if used wide open (fastest setting)

focal lenths are pretty straight forward.

< 30mm = wide angle (landscapes n such)

30-99mm = standard (for most shooting situations)

> 100mm = telephoto (wildlife, sports, close ups)

50mm f1.4 = a standard fast lens

50mm f 3.5 = a standard slowish lens

300mm f 2 = a fast telephoto

the 4/3's system has a 2x focal factor. All lenses will work as if 2x the focal lenth. A 24mm will work like a 48mm. A 300mm like a 600mm. great for tele, but hard to find very wide lenses.

As I type, i realize theres so much more to be explained but im sure someone will get to that.
batrug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 24, 2007, 1:00 AM   #3

Well, here's the list of available FourThirds lenses from Olympus (Zuiko), Leica/Panasonic, and Sigma:

Note there are three classes of FourThirds lenses, Standard (includes the kit lenses), high grade, and professional. Also if you get the "Dual Lens Kit" it includes the 14-45mm and 40-150mm which gives you the equivalent from 28mm to 300mm.

If you're interested in using manual film lenses, check out this article:

While you're at either of the above links, click on the "Other Articles" link for lots more useful information for new and seasoned Olympus users.
Mikefellh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 24, 2007, 2:47 AM   #4

A friend told me I need one that goes up to 300mm or 250 at the least?

Thisdepends if your friend was talking about '4/3rds' or conventional lens focal length. I'll assume it was conventional because that is how most people still work.

As batrug has said, the 4/3rds lenses give a 2x crop factor compared to conventional 35mm lenses, so in the Olympus system you have the fairly cheap but very good 40-150mm 'kit' lens (equiv to 80-300mm and which can be got off Ebay for not to much money), or the higher quality 50-200mm (equivalent to 100-400mm). As you are working with things that don't stand still when asked I suggest the 50-200mm as it gives an extra stop of speed should you need it, and it has the extra reach. The complimenting wider zoom Olympuslenses for either of these telephoto's would be the 14-42mm 'kit' lens, or the higher quality 14-54mm (although a new 12-60mm is due soon). So choosingany combination of these two focal length ranges will suite most photographers most of the time.
OCD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 25, 2007, 6:30 AM   #5

Sigma, Panasonic (leica) and Olympus (zuiko) are those licensed to make lenses in 4/3 mount.

Others mentioned the 50-200 f2.8-3.5 and it is an excellent lens for what your doing. It will set you back about $700. If you can swing that, its highly recommended.

Sigma makes a 55-200 that is quite inexpensive. Its not in the same league as the 50-200, but is about 1/4 the price. Its not a bad lens. A review and comparison can be found at:

There is a 70-300 to be released by Olympus late this year that may be your best bet. I think it will be about $400.

There are other long sigma options. The 135-400 is decent for around $600 and they make a 50-500 for a grand.

There are other options in the longer lenses, but prices are well over $1000. If money is not an object, the 90-250, 300 f2.8, and Sigma 300-800 start off at around $5000.

For what its worth, 300mm is about the limit for me hand holding in good light with the E500.

Good luck.

fldspringer is offline   Reply With Quote