Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Olympus dSLR

Old Nov 18, 2007, 7:20 AM   #1

Has anyone noticed that the E-510 dropped in price by about $225 this week? Adorama and Amazon are both listing the E-510 for around $575 for the two lens kit. Could this mean that a new camera is in the offing? I would love to see a camera like the E-510 with an articulating screen and perhaps contrast detection focusing for live view, like the Panasonic Lumix DC-10. The only thing that I don't like about the Panasonic is the expensive lens. An E-510 with the features mentioned above priced at about $1000 with the two kit lenses would be perfect for me.

mclapp is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Nov 18, 2007, 9:11 AM   #2

I'm not sure whats in the offing with the price drop with the 510 - may be an E350 but that would be just too soon ? I've not noticed a change in the UK price for the camera yet.

:O :?
HarjTT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 18, 2007, 9:39 AM   #3

i wouldnt expect a new Oly until something changes, like a new 400D, or the SONY or Pentax line changes. Might be a new Panasonic next yr though. This will be the intended price for 510, having had a bit of a hiatus while E3 was in the maiking.

Rriley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 19, 2007, 10:30 PM   #4

can anyone say -- Merry Christmas?

the price drop is probably just to help out some end of year sales..

too bad the e3 wont drop any time soon!
Tat2dGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 20, 2007, 2:47 AM   #5

I guess you didn't spot the E3 being released last week.

Besides almost all cameras dropping in price after six months or so, the E510 has temporarily been the Olympus flagship for a few months. With the E3 on the marketI'm sure Olympus want to confirm the true hierarchy and can now 'afford' a healthy drop in price for the E510 coming up to Xmas, and steal sales away from Canon and Nikon at a crucial time of year.

On the back of great reviews already for the E510 and E410 Olympus will surely cash in on the back of terrific press interest for the E3. It isn't a random act that the E3 should be released now, and the E510 price should drop at the same time. Lets face it, therewould be plenty ofprofit leftin the product for further theoretical price drops before Olympuseven got close to selling it'at cost'.
OCD is offline   Reply With Quote