Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Olympus dSLR

Old Dec 2, 2007, 1:40 PM   #1

Im pretty new to the world of D-slr, i have an olympus E-500 with a 17.5-45mm f/3.5-5.6 kits lens. I love to take shots of pretty much anything and everything, but my main passion is shooting music gigs as I have friends in a band so im their photographer. Now, the kit lens I have just doesnt cut it at all for gigs so I need a telephoto on a budget. I've picked out three and need advice on which would be best suited for me and which you think is the better lens.

I've been looking at:

40-150mm f/3.5-4.5 (which i have found for the cheapest price)
Olympus ED 40-150mm f/4.0-5.6
Sigma 55-200mm f/4-5.6 DC

Any help or advice would be much apreciated.

Roodsbee is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Dec 2, 2007, 5:02 PM   #2

Well, the 40-150 (either one) would be the best choice as it's the second lens of the dual lens kit. As for which is better that's causes arguements; the older one is faster (lets in more light at the tele end) and has a metal bayonet mount, while the newer one is ligher, smaller, albeit has a plastic mount.

As for the Sigma it tends to be on the soft side as it's not designed for FourThirds.

If you had a larger budget and can handle the extra weight & bulk, the Olympus 50-200mm would be the highest quality in this range of focal length, but then you may want the 14-54mm as well.

You can find lots of good info and advice over at:

Mikefellh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 3, 2007, 12:06 AM   #3

I would suggest either of the Olympus 40-150mm lenses and a good external flash such as the Olympus FL-36 or better yet, the Olympus FL-50 flash. Those two additions would greatly expand your photo capabilities.

Sarah Joyce
mtclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 3, 2007, 8:57 AM   #4

If your the Bands photographer you can probably get close enough so the 14-54 2.8-3.5 lens would work for you. It's faster so you could probably get by without the flash and the AF will probably work better on it.

DonR http://donr.zenfolio.com/
d-sr is offline   Reply With Quote