Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Olympus dSLR

Old Jan 6, 2008, 12:42 PM   #51

Tullio wrote:
Shooting RAW is certainly an option, which I haven't tried (well, I tried but have to means to convert since Adobe hasn't provided camera raw support for the E510 forPSE4 (and I don't want to take anything outof the box in case I decide to return the camera).
I haven't read every post in this thread. So, this may have already been covered.

You can convert to .dng using the free Adobe DNG Converter. Then, process the .dng files using your existing Camera Raw version in Elements 4:

Note that you do not want to install the plugin from Adobe Camera Raw mentioned in the instructions (that one will not work with Photoshop Elements 4 in Windows). But, the DNG converter will work. It can convert your files into .dng format. Then, you can use the Camera Raw version in Photoshop Elements 4 to convert the .dng files to a usable format (jpeg, tiff, etc.).

Is there any free software out there that will allow me to manipulate the ORF file that comes out of the E510? I could not find one.
Newer version of Dave Coffin's dcraw.c will convert the raw files from the E-510. A number of raw converters and image editors use Dave's algorithms and should support it.

Here are some examples of free converters that should work with the raw files (with no need to convert to .dng first). They can also work with .dng files.

Raw Therapee

BTW, you'll find download links to a newer beta version in this forum thread (which also adds support for newer models like the E-3):

JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 6, 2008, 12:42 PM   #52

thanks for your opinions and advice.My friend lives a long way away but hopefully I will be able to get my hands on it outdoors .He to has the 2 lens kit but I have been there done that with film slrs in the past and want a one lens solution now .

I went with the FZ7 just to dip my toe into digital as I wasn't a fan but now I have been hooked. So now I want to get back to a D S L R but it is very confusing.

I think in the old days when you went into a camera shop and asked the salesman for advice was a lot simpler, now looking at the reviews you just get more & more confused,at least I do .I suppose there is a common denominator somewhere.

Regards and good shooting with your camera.
deadshot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 6, 2008, 5:59 PM   #53

Thanks very much for the info. about the Adobe DNG converter and the links to free RAW converter programs. Very much appreciated.

In the old days, things were certainly simpler in terms of choices. To begin with, the number of camera manufacturers were a lot smaller, so there was a lot less to choose from. Then, in terms of features, they did not have nearly as much as the actual digital cameras have. For instance, there was no ISO control. That was determined by the ASA of thefilm used. There was no image settings to adjust contrast, saturation, etc. That was done again,based on the film used and in the lab during development. And the list goes on and on. Now, as for the perfect camera? I don't believe there is one. Each manufacturer producescameras with a variety of features and capabilities. Many of them are common across various brands and many are unique to specific brands. Some people like a particular brand and stick to it. Some other (like myself), are willing to try different brands. Even though both Nikon and Canon produce great quality products, I don't believe everything they make is gold. The question is, what's important to you? For me, I'm not a big fan of post processing. I like cameras that can produce good quality images w/o me having to spend hours in front of the computer fixing things up. I don't mind tweaking some images in Picasa every now and then but that's about it. So, my requirements are good DR, color accuracyand sharpness. I can deal with noise since I find it easy to remove. As a result, I do not make a decision to buy or not to buy a particular camera based on its ability to control noise. The E510 is my first Olympus ever. I've had Nikon, Pentax, Sony, Canon, Panasonic and Kodak cameras and now the E510. Each of these brands has its strengths and weaknesses and the E510 is no different. However, overall it produces excellent images.My suggestion? Don't buy a camera based exclusively onthereviews. Reviewspoint out problem in every camera, which can be OK as long as you can live with it.
Tullio is offline   Reply With Quote