Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Olympus dSLR

Old Mar 11, 2008, 1:15 PM   #1

Hi Guys
I Have been asked to do some photos from friends the ist 1 at easter the 2nd in may a 1st communion.

I know I willbe taking photoes in the house but was wondering what would be a good portable studio perferably full hight. But not to expensive ther dreaded point getting quality at a budget.

anyway i was thinking of geting a highline backdrop and a muse type backdrop and mabay buy lightsphere2.

But I don't know how well the ls2 works when model is close to a backdrop weather it would cast a shadow. I know I could always Bounce the Flash. This is the cheapest option I can think off.

2nd I would be willing to pay upto £350 - £400 for softbox and light but not sure what the min wattage I would need to get a full length shot. As at this price the watts are not too high.

I would like to experiment with a small studio setup but have no experiance in this department.

any suggestion would be much appreciated

Dangerous Brian is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Mar 11, 2008, 2:18 PM   #2

I use the Lumisphere II attachment on my FL50, and I have to say, it does a fantastic job of softening the light like bouncing the light off a ceiling, yet providing nice catchlights in the eyes, and backgrounds do not go dark like what will happen when you use direct flash..

Shooting with the camera in the horizontal position, you won't need to be worrying about shadows..

Once you go vertical, things change a little since the flash is not centered over the lens, but the shadows are minimal and much less intense than when used without the Lumisphere II. What you really need to use in thevertical position to completely eliminate shadowsis a TTL cord to take the flash off camera and keep it centered over the lens, either being held by hand or mounted on a flash bracket.

The Lumisphere II and an off-camera cord, if you think you'd need it,is what I'd be getting if I were you.
Greg Chappell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 11, 2008, 3:00 PM   #3
Super Moderator

I use a Elinchrom D-Lite 2 setup for portable studio work. I never use it on full power and work on settings of about 1/160s, ISO 200, f11 so more than bright enough.

Here are a couple of shots from sessions where I've used this. I will add that I use some old 200w strobes to blow out the background.

Mark1616 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 11, 2008, 5:32 PM   #4

Tanks for your reply guys

might get the lightsphear looks good for fast setup in candid positions

Mark1616 see your Elinchrom D-Lite 2 how portable are they for setting up eg in a freinds house ect, is it easy enough, your shots look great just what im trying to achieve.

I would like a set up like this but need to be easily portable.
Dangerous Brian is offline   Reply With Quote