Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Olympus dSLR

Old Mar 19, 2008, 1:45 PM   #1

Hey guys I am new here and have a e-500 and have been getting used to the camera and so far i love it. One thing however that I don't love is the lens' manual focus. It's got that focus by wire deal going on. Mine really blows. Are they all like this or is it possible that I have a bad lens. Like its not linear at all. Very skippy focus. I bought the camera off amazon so i have no idea how it is supposed to feel because I didnt try it at a store or anything prior to purchasing. Other than that I love the camera and have gotten some good shots with it so far. Here is my website that I have devoted to my photography.

The daily photos section are all taken with this camera. let me know what you think.

Thanks in advance for any help.

drumike102 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Mar 19, 2008, 5:30 PM   #2

It's not supposed to be linear, the focus ring is SPEED SENSITIVE...if you turn the ring quickly the lens will jump from near to infinity in less than a rotation, and if you turn the lens slowly the lens will crawl requiring more rotations to get from near to infinity.

It's one of the benefits of these lenses, and I was sorry to see Olympus returning to mechanical focus rings in their SWD lenses because people whined it wasn't like the lenses on their 20 year old film camera.

Mikefellh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 19, 2008, 5:33 PM   #3

Hmm well good to know that nothing is wrong with it. I am just used to my brothers rebel xti that has the manual lens. I guess i will just have to get used to it. thanks for the response.
drumike102 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 25, 2008, 10:30 AM   #4

One really cool thing that you can do to help the manual focus is to set the AEL/AFL button to perform S-AF when in manual focus mode. This allows you to do two things:
1) Let the camera get you close to the correct focus, then manual focus final
2) Set focus bracketing to do 2 or 3 shots above and below that focus point (in some arbitrary "step")

Tommy O
PLTommyO is offline   Reply With Quote