Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Olympus dSLR

Old Mar 22, 2008, 10:10 PM   #11

ya sorry about that I must have dyslexia I meant lose autofocus.
drumike102 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 22, 2008, 10:21 PM   #12

drumike102 wrote:
So after reading around a bit I opted to go with an adapter so that I could use some older OM lenses which are much cheaper. Sure I lose manual focus and a few other things but im ok with that.
Hi Mike,

Sounds like you're going down the same path I took when I got my E-500. I bought an adapter on Ebay, then a 50mm f1.7 lens, a 135mm f3.5 prime, and a 75-150mm zoom. Yes, all the lenses were inexpensive compared to their original value. But I ended up with 3 lenses not designed for digitaltechnology but rather film. I spent about the same amount of money as I would haveon a 40-150mm lens, which is specifically engineered for the four thirds cameras.I also wasn't able to cover the same focal range (of the 40-150mm) with the 3 lenses that I bought.

Yes, you can get some good results with film lenses. As matter of fact, people like gwilly have posted some stunning photosthey havebeen able to get withtheir non-four/third lenses-but all probably had those lenses already from their film camera days.

IMHO, your money would be better spent on a 40-150mm digital Zuiko lens. You'll also be happier with the results. In any event, do stay away from any of the zoom OM legacy lenses as they are generally not as good as the primes.

Oh, by the way, I did finally buy a 40-150mm lens. I just wish I had purchased it sooner .... would have saved a few dollars. And now that I have an E-510 , I use the OM lenses from time to time because of live view and IS and the new IS firmware.

zig-123 is offline   Reply With Quote