Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Olympus dSLR

Old Mar 22, 2008, 5:15 PM   #11

and in between then and now I've read several threads over at dp stating that for the E3 files the Oly Studio/Master apps produced the best files, esp in terms of showing detail.

I think much of what Master 2 and Studio give that people are seeing and getting excited about is in the micro contrast that is added without a user option. This gives a definite punch to the image. There is also something else going on that adds a good amount of a gritty texture in the detail and this alsoadds to the sharp look (from a distance).

I use PS3/ACR 4.4. And in the RAW conversionthis micro contrast 'punch' can be simply added up to the amount you want with the Clarity slider. In every other way ACR is much more subtle than Master and Studio, and leaves the necessary leeway (if chosen)to continue manipulating the image in post processing without being already near the maximum tasteful amounts of sharpness/tone/colour etc.
OCD is offline   Reply With Quote