Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Olympus dSLR

Old Apr 7, 2008, 4:32 AM   #1

I've never had a 4/3 size DSLR and was wondering if this could be a problem for printing :?

Formats like A4 or 4x6' work perfect with a 2/3 system , will it be the same here ?
guillermovilas is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Apr 7, 2008, 5:08 AM   #2

if im not mistaken, 4x5, 5x7, 6x4.5, 8x6, 8x10, 11x14, 16x12 work with little cropping.

gwillys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 7, 2008, 10:39 AM   #3

There's no perfect film size unless you ONLY print on a paper size that requires no cropping, and that's the only size you print at...even with 35mm the film lab will crop (or cut off without looking) if you choose an odd size.

At least with digital YOU can make the decision beforehand what to crop off, or stretch the image to fit before either printing it yourself or taking it to a lab for printing.

Mikefellh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 7, 2008, 6:14 PM   #4

It's true that the 10x15cm format matches the APS-C and full frame sensors of other cameras exactly whereas the 4/3 system forces you to discard about 12%, but for A4 you crop 6% of the image either way (2/3 or 4/3), so it's a wash.

Personally, I find the real issue when printing and framing is that I rarely leave enough uninteresting edge stuff when composing my shots. In other words, there's nothing in the shot that I think should be hidden under the matt. That means you have to fiddle with the image to fit the frame. Then it all starts to look too hard, and the other pictures I've got hanging are probably good enough. Then you stop. :sad:

I guess this means that for most shots printing and cropping isn't an issue since none of us print even a fraction of the pictures we take. Oh well.

anomaly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 7, 2008, 9:27 PM   #5

The onlytraditional sized print where the 3:2 format workswell under 8x10 is 4x6. Back when I shot weddings and groups with a Canon DSLR, I had to alwaysmake sure and leave extra room on the ends of all my images, just in case someone might want an 8x10 print, which is an often ordered size, at least, here in the USA.

If I didn't make that allowance and included people too close to the edges, I risked cutting someone out in the crop. Take a 3:2 image and crop it for an 8x10 print to see how much you lose of the ends...it isn't insignificant. If you shoot for other people, the 3:2 format can be a disaster waiting to happen if you don't watch for this type stuff

For a 5x7 or 8x10 or letter-sized prints, you lose much less area cropping a 4:3 file. For the 4x print, many labs give an answer for that too. Here's the one my website at Smugmug gives..

Smugmug will make 4x5.3 prints, which require no cropping andeasily fit inside 4x6 print albums. This is how I present wedding proofs. You don't even have tocrop for 8x10 prints. The 4:3 format prints an 8x10.6 uncropped image, which completely fits inside an 8x10frame andthe clientcan position it within the frame to crop off what they want vs. what you decide at the printing stage.
Greg Chappell is offline   Reply With Quote