Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Olympus dSLR

Old Apr 7, 2008, 10:26 PM   #1

My question stems from my desire to purchase a longer, better zoom. I've become quite interested in the new Sigma that is to be released, the 70-200mm f2.8. I enjoy taking pictures at concerts and other indoor events where lighting isn't great. I thought this lens would be a nice compromise in cost and effectiveness in low light. In reading through different lens reviews, not specifically for this lens, i've come across comments that say something to the effect of, "is sharpest at f8 and so on. This made me wonder if there are other features within a "fast" lens like the sigma or zuiko 50-200 that make them better in low light. Or, are they going to be the same as say a 70-300mm zuiko when set to the same aperature setting?
Thanks in advance.... Brad
Gzuzfrk is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Apr 7, 2008, 11:00 PM   #2

The lenses you see where they say to stop down one stop are lenses like the Sigma 135-400, which is an f5.6 lensat 400mm, but I've seen it discussedwhere it's really not a sharp lens at 400mm and f5.6...that you should treat it as a 400mm f8 if you really want sharp images. That ismore typical than notwith consumer quality lenses.

With the faster pro lenses, like the Olympus 50-200 f2.8-3.5 and the various 70-200mm f2.8 pro lenses, that is not the case. If you buy one and it is, send it back faster than it came to you and get another one. Those faster lenses are made to be shot wide open and really do perform at that setting. That's why you pay what you pay for them.

The other advantage is, whether you shootat f2.8 or at f8 with a lens such as a 70-200mm f2.8, when you view and focus the image in the finder, you do all that at f2.8, and a finder where you are focusing and viewingat f2.8 rather than a lens where the maximum aperture is f5.6will always be brighter and easier to use.
Greg Chappell is offline   Reply With Quote