Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Olympus dSLR

Old Apr 9, 2008, 11:22 AM   #1

Hey guys,

I am going to be getting the other kit lens so that I have a bit more range to get me started with photography. My question is i have been looking at the 4-150mm lens and there are 2 different ones. I think the only difference is ones older than the other. Just wanted to know your take on the subject. thanks in advance.

Here are the 2 different ones i have seen on ebay.

drumike102 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Apr 9, 2008, 12:12 PM   #2

Your first link is for the 40-150 f3.5-4.5 kit lens that was sold with the E300/E500 cameras. The seocnd link is for the 40-150 f4-5.6 sold with the E510/E410/E420 cameras.

The most obvious difference is the lens speed. The older one is a little faster.

The older lens is physically bigger and, I believe, has a metal lens mount. The current f4-5.6 version has a plastic lens mount.

Some swear by the older model, but I've seen others say the new one is sharper. The old version is VERY popular.

Here's a set of images I shot with my E510 and the current40-150 f4-5.6 at a recentNHL game...it is a very nice, sharp lens...

With either of these lenses at the cost they are sold at, I am sure there are variations in image quality....you can find good and bad copies of both.
Greg Chappell is offline   Reply With Quote