Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Olympus dSLR

Old May 7, 2008, 9:26 PM   #11

Well, Zig, you're friend is correct. The only IS in the E-420 is so-called "digital" image stabilization, which merely raises the ISO to allow for faster shutter speeds in an effort to avoid blur.

As for the 14-54mm f/2.8-3.5 Zuiko lens... it'll fit and work on the E-420. B&H actually had such a combination on display that I picked up and worked with for a while. Actually, the combination really didn't feel that out of balance, either. But it's clear that the whole advantage of an E-420 - namely, its diminutive size and weight - are tossed out the window by mounting such a lens on that body.

Here's my personal take: There are genuine, legitimate reasons for wanting to own an E-420 - despite its lack of "real" IS. It's small, light and inexpensive for a DSLR. Like the E-410 and E-510, it also seems well-built. And the sensor and software improvements make it a more significant update on the E-410 than many might first realize. And, face it - it's just a cool little DSLR. But it was meant for the Zuiko 14-42 and 40-150mm f/3.5-5.6 kit lenses. And, of course, the new 25mm f/2.8 pancake lens. The camera just seems "right" with any of those three. If anyone considering the E-420 can live with the speed of the kit lenses, it's a great camera.

But if we're talking about upgrading to the larger and heavier 14-54mm f/2.8-3.5 lens, it just seems much more "right" on the E-510. But the sensor and software improvements (better dynamic range, better white balance, etc) on the E-420 make me wonder if I shouldn't wait for the E-520 - assuming we'll actually be offered such a model in the near-term. Olympus has made no announcements about an E-520 yet. And if they do, you know it'll be more money.

Of course, I could also opt for the E-420, go with the kit lenses and save some money. But there's still the slower speed of those kit lenses to deal with. Anyone have any thoughts?
Biro is offline   Reply With Quote