Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Olympus dSLR

Old May 23, 2008, 4:41 PM   #11

Hi Rileigh

I to was in a similar boat and still am I started to do some commision work that friends ask me op do. 2 weddings and a 1st commonion. It was also an excuse to buy some equipment.

I went for the 12-60mm a good lense and build quality and a superb walk about lense nothing comes close to it.

But what im now noticing is the distance to subject.for closeup shots without being to close to subject so im now looking at getting the 50-200mm . so maybe have a look at getting this lense 1st ?

Bye the way it is surprising how good the standard lenses are when you start comparing.

I went for the D-lite 4 studio flash set. There great to and very portable.

As for the backdrop my main crip is getting the muslin sheet crease free. So you should look into this more.

And the Fl-50 flash is just a must forget the Fl-36 just do it right 1st time.

This was taken with 12-60mm and1 D-lite 4with softbox at 60mm 1/250s f4.5
Attached Images
Dangerous Brian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 23, 2008, 6:12 PM   #12

Dangerous Brian wrote:
I went for the 12-60mm a good lense and build quality and a superb walk about lense nothing comes close to it.

Well I appreciate your enthusiasm for the excellent Oly 12-60mm but just to be clear here, the Leica D Vario-Elmarit 14-50mm f/2.8-3.5 comesso close to it that most folks wouldn't be able to see the difference. (smile)

Although the Leicahas a somewhat shorter focal range, it does have in-lens IS which is a benefit for folks with older Oly digicams without IS, like the excellent E-500. (Which is why I haven't switched to the Oly lens.)

tkurkowski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 23, 2008, 8:28 PM   #13

Hi Rileigh

Nice work there mate ! What i've seen since I've been shooting in studio is that some photographers really prefer using a series of fast prime lens for doing the portrait/fashion style shoots - and G's list of 3 lenses are whats considered to be the focal lengths for portrait work. While others like me are shooting with a fast zoom - in my case the 35-100. Basically, It'll come down to your style of shooting - the primes will give you consistently very sharp pics (esp the Zeiss and leica's) and with the zooms you get that flexibility of not having to change lenses and being able to instantly recompose. However, with the 35-100f2 you get the best of both - razor sharp images and the flexibility. Personally I find the 35-100F2 just right for doing port/fashion but with this lens at 100 you do need space to be able to back up and compose. The other thing is creative angles - now I've got to a point where I'd like to be able to shoot wider than 14mm at times, so that throws up a few other problems but you may or may not want to do that.

I've no idea how good the new 50-200SWD is but it may be worth while looking at but I do not discount the Leica D 25mm 1.4 either way - theres a very good chance that i will at some point get this lens just for this kind of work. The 14-54 is good and you'll find that at 14mm its very handy but its not as sharp as it should be (again thats a sample variation) wheres the 14-50 Leica D and the new 12-60 are a step up, although you do get some distortion at the wide end with the new Oly.

:O :?

HarjTT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 26, 2008, 12:03 PM   #14

Hey Rileigh, Here's that thingie I was talking about earlier. I'd bookmarked it a long time ago. Looks like a "Fairly" inexpensive way to bring some highlights and remove shadows from your outdoor portraits. I've no idea of the price.

Complete with a little simple, but effective lesson. Might be just the thing to differentiate your excellent photography.

Scouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 26, 2008, 3:54 PM   #15

Hey guys! I just wanted to thank you for all the great advice so far.

I can certainly understand using a prime lense vs a zoom in this type of application, certainly for studio. Where as I'm still fairly new to this I'm sticking with the zoom for now, I'm still getting a feel for what angles work well and what one's don't. So keeping that in mind I think that sticking with the zoom is my best bet for the time being.

I've got a cheap studio set ordered with backdrop, so I'm pretty excited about that (hopefully it won't take forever to get here!). In the meantime I'm continuing the whole outdoor style shoots. Here are a few more pictures for the latest shoot, no editing yet at all on these, just resized and changed from raw to jpeg (just did them yesterday), but I'm getting a lot higher percentage of my shots turning out the way I want them now so I really feel like I'm getting the hang of this!

Also the model that I worked with for this shoot has modeled professionally. I think I probably learned more from working with her then I have in all the previous shoots combined. She was extreamly friendly, just a pleasure to work with really, and even said she'd be more then happy to test out any idea's or locations with me before trying them out on paying clients. Always nice to have!

Rileigh is offline   Reply With Quote