Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Olympus dSLR

Old Jun 20, 2008, 2:06 PM   #1

Did I miss the context of that message I read here about the AF/MF switch on the Zuiko 70-300 lens where what I remember is that the AF/MF lens switch does not really work on its own and that the camera setting must be set to one of the MF sets in order for the lens to work in MF mode?

For me and my camera that is not the case, what is the case is the same as what Harj has mentioned so many times and that is when the 70-300 is set to manual mode using the lens switch, focus confirmation (the DOT) at the E-3 only happens if MF is also set in the camera.

The lens will focus in the MF setting at the lens regardless of the E-3 camera setting.

I've not tested the lens on the E-300, but I am assuming it will function the same as on the E-3.

So, I must have read the original posting with a comprehension of not what it said but what I thought it said.

boBBrennan is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jun 20, 2008, 4:21 PM   #2

Hi Bob,

I have the E-510. Here's how my 70-300mm lens with the E-510.

With the AF/MF switch on the lens switched to MF, the lens will not auto focus. It will only focus manually. regardless of what the camera setting is set to.

If I set the switch to AF, it will auto focus normally.

If I set the focus setting on the camera to manual. It will only focus manually. The lens will not auto focus..

Basically, when I want to manually focus the lens, i've just set the switch to MF and forget the in - camera setting.

zig-123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 20, 2008, 6:21 PM   #3

What Zig said is exactly how mine works on my E510 too.
Greg Chappell is offline   Reply With Quote