Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Olympus dSLR

Old Jul 8, 2008, 5:06 PM   #1

I dont know if this is the right place!!!! If not please move!

How does one start making money from the pictures that they take?

Kinda curious. If i could sell some maybe i could get some new lenses.

Thanks Jason
jmu.hopeless is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jul 8, 2008, 10:00 PM   #2

One way is through a local gallery, if your work is GOOD and on high quality achive prints (i.e. not inkjet).

Another way is stock libraries.

Some picture sharing websites allow you to take orders.

Haven't done any of these myself though.

Mikefellh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 13, 2008, 3:08 AM   #3

i sell pics, if your hoping to do it for a living then i wouldnt bother.

mike is right you need to get work in local gallery and see what feedback is, how many sell and how much intrest. this will involve outlay on your part as u need the pics printed and framed and owner will take comission.

i approched a local pub with my stuff also, and have got my own gallery in the resturant, that is another outlay.......a dozen large panoramics framed and mounted, but i get more intrest and orders from that one

another thing is to set your own website up........i also have done this, if u can do it yourself then thats a good option as it cost little to do, but a website WILL NOT sell you very many pics at all, people seeing them in real life is what sells, then they will look at what else you have on your website.......mine is www.hd7.co.uk

craft fairs/markets is another way to earn money..........this again involves spending money on getting the pictures framed.

stock image sites isnt the way to go as u need lots of sales of pics to make what one picture can earn in a gallery etc

hope thats some help

Reanimator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 13, 2008, 7:22 AM   #4

Pretty sound advice from Mike and Gary. I'm not sure how easy it is to get a stock agency to buy your work and the prices the traditional stock agencies are willing to pay for images has been going down the last few years - thats been down to comptetion from microstock agncies such as istockphoto (now owned by Getty Images).

Here's an interesting point of view regards the microstock payment agencies:

If your looking to setup a site where you can sell pics, then smugmug.com have a pro option where you can customise your site, set prices for your pics etc.

:O :?
HarjTT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 16, 2008, 11:03 AM   #5

The answer is "it depends". The key to selling any product is identifying a product people want to buy; producing that product at an acceptable quality to your buyers at an acceptable price and of course marketing your product to them.

Galleries CAN be a good way - if your style of photography lends itself to galleries. There are other avenues to make money: freelance for newspapers, portrait work, event photography.

Now, unfortunately, there has to be a market for your type of photography. That market will determine how good you have to be and how prolific you have to be. As already mentioned - if you are going too go the stock route, you better be fairly prolific and you better have very good quality. Event photography depends on the types of events - wedding work always jumps to people's minds but that is difficult work and your quality better be top notch. But there are other events not quite as demanding - birthdays, bar/bat mitzvas, retirement parties etc.

For freelance work - if you like photojournalism or sports - you might want to contact small community papers (weeklies or very small daily's).

I will say however that with rare exceptions, your success at making money will be linked much more to your interpersonnal skills and business skills than your photography skills.
JohnG is offline   Reply With Quote