Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Olympus dSLR

Old Jul 11, 2008, 11:50 AM   #1

I've had a E500 for about 6 months, very happy with it (size and image quality wise), it was purchased with only a 17.5 - 45 mm (f3.5 - 5.6) Kit Lens

I got it for £280.

I'm looking for a good quality I.S. Lens which has a good wide angle to good telephoto, as i like the idea of just the one lens to carry, and i've gotten use to it

I've been looking at this Lens,

Is a Lens Based OS as effective as a body based IS (like in E510)

Its expensive at £850+, would it be wiser to buy a E510 body and then a equal quality based lens by Olympus, seems a bit harsh to buy a E510 just for IS, but if it has to be done, then be it (wont be using LiveView much though)

Can anyone suggest a alternative, which does not jepodise image quality

Will there be a F2.8 version which goes 14-150mm through-out.

A friend has a new FinePix S100FS (2/3) and the Zoom on its is amazing, It sounds very tempting, but then i keep thinking is got a sensor 4 times smaller than my E500 and 3 megapixels more, so more Noise and CA

Will Lecia or Olympus ever produce a 12mm to 300mm F2.0 Lens with and without IS

zack71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jul 12, 2008, 2:05 AM   #2

Well, you have to decide what's going to be NEXT when it comes time to get a new camera before you invest in an IS lens. Olympus has embraced having IS in the bodies, while Panasonic/Leica has it in the lenses. Getting a 14-150IS lens is kind of pricey compared to getting say an E-510 with the dual lens kit (14-42mm & 40-150mm lenses). Also if you buy an IS lens and than later upgrade to an IS body, you would have to decide between using IS in the body OR the IS in the lens as you can't have both on.

While digicams like the Fuji don't suffer as badly with long zooms (although there are visual defects like CA and barrel distortion), on SLRs softness tends to be the big long zoom issue as well as dark lenses (f/6.3 on the long end). For just a "walking around" lens there's the Oly 18-180mm, and for wider they are coming out with a 9-18mm in the fall (Sigma also has a 10-20mm).

To know what's really out there you need a full list, and there's one at:

While you're there, if you haven't looked at Wrotniak's site before click on the "Other Articles" link there for lots of other tidbits and useful information about Olympus cameras...it answers a lot of basic questions (after three years I still visit it regularly to see what's new).

Mikefellh is offline   Reply With Quote