Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Olympus dSLR

Old Jul 19, 2008, 11:26 PM   #1

My wife and I are buying an E3 in the next two weeks. We've researched the heck out of dSLRs and find the E3 to be our best match. (We now use P&S cameras and a Panasonic FZ50, with previous SLR experience in film only.)

One quandary. Money is a factor. So we've decided to get the 70-300mm (for wildlife, a mutual passion). But we're in limbo between the 12-60mm and the 14-54mm. I realize it's a common dilemma, but we still can't decide. From a budgetary standpoint, the 14-54mm seems like a winner.

I've also read some of the discussions here. So my question is -- if we go with the 14-54mm, will we regret the $400 that we should have applied to the 12-60mm? Would it be prudent to swallow the cost at the start and just get the 12-60mm? Or, will the 14-54mm be a decent enough walk about lens.

Usage: General daily use -- city photos, people photos, some landscape (but no need for super wide angle right now), macros, nature.

Thanks for your kind insight.

~ Jack
Jack Figgis is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jul 19, 2008, 11:41 PM   #2

Have you seen the deal where B&H has the E3, 12-60 AND FL50R as a "kit"..

It's like buying an E3, 12-60 and getting the flash as athrow in....at least, based on B&H prices, which are always competitive.

Are you eventually planning to buy a wide lens? The 12-60 extends the wide end enough to almost eliminate the need for the 11-22 Zuiko, although you probably should not tell that toanyone that owns an 11-22!

I already own the 14-54 and would probably "upgrade" to the 12-60 if I were not going to buy something wider later, which I am. I've owned the 7-14 once in my lifetime and will be soon again...this time for keeps, so the 14-54 is going to remain a part of my outfit....at least until the day comes that I can pick up a 14-35 f2.....I'm thinking much bigger than the 12-60....literally.

The 70-300 Zuiko is a winner....great lens. You'll like that a lot.

Greg Chappell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 20, 2008, 5:57 AM   #3

Not to add to your dilemma.... but, in case you haven't read it, here is a link to an article written by Wrotniak relative to the 12-60mm lens with detailed comparisons to the 14-54mm. It just might mitigate the pain of spending that extra cash.

good luck!!

zig-123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 20, 2008, 1:18 PM   #4

H Jack

Thought I'd just chip in as well..Greg's goven some sound advice and being able to add to it is going to be difficult.

The main thing that the 14-54ZD has going for it compared to the 12-60ZD are:

* faster aperture - f2.8->f3.5
* smaller and lighter size
* price
* If you get a good one it'll be pretty sharp too.

Check out the biofos review of the E3 - its got a nice comparison of both lenses.

Here's some user reviews of the 12-60 over at SLR gear:

Some 14-54 reviews at SLR gear:

From my own exp. with the 14-54 it is softer at F2.8 than I would like but there's a good chance that's down to my copy of the lens. Personally, I'm kind of itching for the 14-35F2 and from what I've seen it looks to be just as good as its bigger brother but the only thing stopping me is the price - where's those lottery numbers ??!!

:? :O

HarjTT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 20, 2008, 3:41 PM   #5

I to was in the same boat. But I bought the 12-60mm. Why ?

1 I was goiing to upgrade to E3 from E330, This happend sonner than I thought. :-)

2 The 12-60mm is wider plus more telephoto. those extra mm at each end do make a diffrence.

3 It is SWD Drive. Making it a faster lense to work with.

4 It is fully manual Focus I thought this to be better in my opinion.

and it slightly looks better, platinum ring round the front lens, I have the 50-200mm SWDto making the lenses look the same.

Im not disapointed in any way with the lense butthen Olympus do not make bad lenses even the standard lenses are Great. I know what ever lense you go for you will not be disapointed in quality.

Good Luck on your new Purchase.

Dangerous Brian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 20, 2008, 3:50 PM   #6

Thanks very much. The information and the review links you all provided are extremely helpful -- and detailed. (I'm re-reading the reviews in more depth, as we speak.)

We've got two weeks to make up our minds -- we're both too anxious to put off the purchase any longer than that. Given our previous vacillations on equipment, I'm guessing this choice is still a work in progress over the next few days. But your commentary goes a long way toward helping us decide on where to place that $400.

Your generous help, kindly appreciated.

~ Jack
Old Jul 20, 2008, 8:10 PM   #7

Might I add one more thing to think about when deciding between these two lenses: The 14-54mm is a bit faster than the 12-60mm at any given point within their shared focal range. That is to say, at any point from 14-54mm, the 14-54mm lens is a bit faster. Yes, they both start at f/2.8. But don't think for a minute that both lenses are equally fast until the older lens stops at 54mm. The older lens is faster, by perhaps a third to a half stop, all the way up to 54mm. Now, this is not to take away from the 12-60mm lens in any way. It still has superb optics. But if you're trying to draw every last ray of light you possibly can into the sensor - if that is necessary for your kind of photography - then you have been advised. Good luck and let us know how it goes.
Biro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 22, 2008, 9:42 PM   #8

Thank you some more. We're now leaning a bit toward the 12-60mm, but we're still reviewing. And we both still see the 14-54mm as a viable choice. All quandaries should be so pleasant.

~ Jack