Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Olympus dSLR

Old Aug 10, 2008, 6:19 PM   #1

I stumbled upon a triathlon today in two - the cycling section and had my E3 with me (was scouting locations) and thought I;d test out the E3. Here's a few pics from day:

My thoughts on the E3 and the pics:

* CAF - still need to learn how to use it, but it doesn;t seem to work how I think it should esp when tracking someone at speed. Id say only 30% in focus.
* IS - MODE 2 IS gave much better results - images were definitely sharper and more in focus - in CAF and SAF modes than with Mode 1.
* Need more practice - I didn;t hang around shooting the cyclists for too long but next time.

Converted from RAW using CS3 and 50-75% USM and thats it.

:? :O
HarjTT is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Aug 11, 2008, 6:10 AM   #2

hi harj, great pics. yep, me too. af has a especially hard time with subjects moving towards/away. being a manual focus type, i'll try to prefocus when i can. somehow, every once in a while, i'll catch a good one.
gwillys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 11, 2008, 10:34 AM   #3

hi Harj,

...........I like these photos(!) Like you and gwillys say, I don't have much luck at CAF when I try it.

I have sat on a street corner cubing while practicing with oncoming cars (slow speed, I live in a private street neighborhood), some bicycles, trotting neighbors with their dogs, if it were moving I tried it. For me it was total frustration and without much in the way of good results. Which means I really didn't and don't know much about how to use it.

I think you did well with this series.

boBBrennan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 11, 2008, 11:02 AM   #4

Hi guys

Thanks for the comments on the shots - I knew it was going to be hard when I saw the cyclists shooting past so I decided to give up on composition and just aim for getting a sharp image. I think its just way too hard to get a sharp image with the E3 in CAF moden - I think it does need to improve as its just way too frustrating. Matters did improve with IS mode 2 and basically attempting to plan where to aim and shoot but where the CAF really just failed was when the cyclists went past and I was either aiming for shot side on or with them just passing me - I wasn;t able to obtain a fast enough lock to get an in focus image. I was close with a couple but most are just out of focus.

HarjTT is offline   Reply With Quote